Multiboot USB

digip

Ok. I have been trying to get this to work for a few days now with no success. What I want to do is multiboot linux and windows off of a USB thimb drive. What I have been able to do is make a dvd that does just that, but not able to port it to USB. The DVD lets me choose between UBCD4WIN and Back Track3 just fine. WHen I make he USB version, I can only boot either Backtrack 3 using Syslinux method, or just the windows side using PE2USB. I want them both to work off the same thumb drive and have been trying to figure out how to do it using Grub4dos, but still can't seem to get it to work.

Anyone here have any success with multibooting off of a USB Thumb Drive? And if so, coul dyou write a little tutorial or walk thru on how you did it.

Again, I can boot Linux off the drive, or Windows off the drive, but just not when both of them are on the drive, I can't figure out how to make a boot menu to pick between the two of them.

Edit: Figured it out. Used grub4dos anyway and made a custom menu.lst file to load them

title Load BackTrack3
root (hd0,0)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz vga=normal max_loop=255 initrd=/boot/initrd.gz init=linuxrc load_ramdisk=1 prompt_ramdisk=0 ramdisk_size=6666 root=/dev/ram0 rw
initrd /boot/initrd.gz

title Load UBCD4win
find --set-root /minint/setupldr.bin
chainloader /minint/setupldr.bin

ok this is probably a stupid thing to point out but did u partition ur usb??the reason i ask this coz i know some ppl just try to make the sprt boots in two different folders ( THIS IS POSSIBLE,but its better to use two different partitions) if u ddnt partition it then use bartpe to get an installation on the 1st partion and then ummmm lol i dunno how to put the linux on the second partion lol but im sure u knw. Im not a linux user so iwouldnt know, what i do know ud have to leave the 2nd partition raw so u can format it to linux standards.... AND please ppl dont point out to me that u cant partition a usb coz then im gona have to slap u coz u can

But ok if you think my answer was useless then go here http://www.msfn.org/board/A-Multiple-Parti...ult-t69211.html lol im 98% sure ull be glad with that URL

ok this is probably a stupid thing to point out but did u partition ur usb??the reason i ask this coz i know some ppl just try to make the sprt boots in two different folders ( THIS IS POSSIBLE,but its better to use two different partitions) if u ddnt partition it then use bartpe to get an installation on the 1st partion and then ummmm lol i dunno how to put the linux on the second partion lol but im sure u knw. Im not a linux user so iwouldnt know, what i do know ud have to leave the 2nd partition raw so u can format it to linux standards.... AND please ppl dont point out to me that u cant partition a usb coz then im gona have to slap u coz u can

But ok if you think my answer was useless then go here http://www.msfn.org/board/A-Multiple-Parti...ult-t69211.html lol im 98% sure ull be glad with that URL

I've already got it working, but thanks. What I did was use PEtoUSB to make my windows bootable on the drive, then manually just add whatever linux distro I want and used Grub4DOS to make a menu to load which one I want at boot time. Works great.

My next project is a VistaPE/XP and Backtrack USB Key, but so far it says I am missing dependencies for VistaPE and I think I have to install the WAIK to get it to work properly. A 900meg file from microsoft for the WAIK that will have to wait until I feel like playing with it some more. I'm not that fond of Vista to begin with, but having it on USB with XP and Backtrack multibooting seems like it would come in handy down the road to both fix and pentest (and play) with.

yeah it seems like a good idea.... i always was fascinated in the running of an os from a usb. Unfortntly i only got a 1gb flash and needed some files from server 2003 to get bartpe to make me the filesystem for xp to go onto my fash....so i was never successful in booting an os from a flash, well except for damn small linux that is.... Wen i got the time im going to try some really mad things with os on flash like a mac on a flash booting on a pc :D

yeah it seems like a good idea.... i always was fascinated in the running of an os from a usb. Unfortntly i only got a 1gb flash and needed some files from server 2003 to get bartpe to make me the filesystem for xp to go onto my fash....so i was never successful in booting an os from a flash, well except for damn small linux that is.... Wen i got the time im going to try some really mad things with os on flash like a mac on a flash booting on a pc :D

I have XP running off both flash and cd, and you don't need server 2003 to make it work, all you need is an XP(SP2 preferably) install disc or an instalaltion on your current pc to get source files from. Plus, you can widdle windows down to under 300 meg, so plenty of room on a 1gig drive for both XP and Backtrack(Or most other linux distros under 700meg)