electricity from plants

tim.vangehugten

I would like just to share with you what I've red in the paper today it is the following:

NOTE: I've translated it, so if something isn't clear just ask me.

"Dutch scientists were able to gain electricity out of plants. The idea behind this new form of bio-energy is according to the environmentalist David Strik simple. He said that Korean scientists had discovered in 1999 that bacteria could produce electrons. And that he and his team used that discovery to gain electricity out of plants.

David Strik says: "Plants produce with the aide of sunlight organic acids and sugars which they separate from themselves through their roots. When those acids and sugars are consummated by bacteria we use the electrons which the bacteria then produce"

They see a lot of potential in this discovery, for example, tree roots could be used to let the street lights give light. And 1 hectare of some sort of grass (100m by 100m) could produce 14.000 Watt, which is enough to give 28 families continuous electricity

Yeah, but this means more Farm Land for Power instead of Food, which will raise food prices even more.

(although, the media are just throwing huge percentages around, but when you work it out, things like milk only cost 2p more)

Yeah, but this means more Farm Land for Power instead of Food, which will raise food prices even more.

(although, the media are just throwing huge percentages around, but when you work it out, things like milk only cost 2p more)

Not necessarily. They can use land that otherwise wouldn't be used for anything, ie. land on top of landfills, or even marshes and and in some cases out in the desert where it wouldn't be cost effective otherwise to produce food.

Actually, DarkBlueBox. currently, alot of farmland has gone towards producing BioFuel, so, what you just said is already true.

Maybe cars on electricity, we'll have to look which is the cheapest, land for biofuel or land to make electricity for cars on electricity.