USB wi-fi hub

DevHakr

Basically what I'm trying to do here is get my belkin 802.11g usb wireless adaptor to work as a router. You know, maybe transmit a SSID, connect other computers to it as infrastructure mode, not as an ad-hoc connection. Any suggestions?

If your wireless card can be put into AP mode then you should really look at using Linux/BSD for this. But many wireless cards, especially from the big name vendors, lack things like AP mode, or at least lack any driver support/documentation which would explain how to do this. The DS AP hack seemed to involve a wireless dongle that was designed to function as an AP. This isn't just something you can take a regular wifi dongle and do, it requires hardware and software support.

First thing to do is work out what your wireless card uses. Load up a linux live CD (ubuntu works, go with that), open a terminal and type "lspci >> my_hardware.txt". This takes the output of lspci (a useful linux util that shows what hardware is installed) and pipes it to a text file for review. Then find the name of your wireless card, google it and look for some documenation. With some google-fu you should be able to work out if this is possible or not.

If your wireless card can be put into AP mode then you should really look at using Linux/BSD for this.

That's a start. Often times knowing what to call it (access point mode) is the big hurdle with google/search engines. I can't really run linux on the machine, as my elderly in-laws would fry synapses just on the mere concept of free software that works better.

Thanks.

Its more a case the Linux/BSD kinda lends itself to projects where your going to be nailing a bunch of random things together as part of some vauge hack that may or may not do what you originally set out to do. Windows tends to be better if you want a finished product you can sell to the Shmo family.