Server 2003 Administrator Password

PrototypeShogun

This server 2003 box had its password blanked out with Offline NT Password & Registry Editor. Thats not a problem on other versions of windows, but server 2003 absolutely wont accept blank as a password when you try to log in.

Any idea of how to go about setting this password to something, anything?

That's actually an interesting thought.....doesn't apply to my current situation since all passwords were blanked, but I'll have to remember that *grin*

How will you fix th problem if you never write a hash of known password to the password file?

How will you fix th problem if you never write a hash of known password to the password file?

I don't know.....*sigh*

I'm barely understanding this, from what I have found so far there is a file named 'sam' in the system32/config folder that contains a 'hive'?? of users and passwords, whats in there is corrupt, because i just tried a few tools off of hiren's and none of the successfully changed the password, 1 was able to find the sam file, open it, view the users, and then said it changed it to 'test' like i wanted, but when i rebooted it refused to take 'test' as the password and still has the guest user as disabled, which i unset.

It probably doesn't help that these are raided sata drives that the os is on.

At this point, I might as well say no....

And btw, NTPWD seems to be working, but it cant write back to the drive with 'ntchange', it wants a unix style path instead of the dos style that the first command let me do. And these drives don't seem to answer to hda1 or sda1 without whining about index 0 not being able to be used....

I tried Active@, it only lets me blank out the passwords.

I know I don't know much about how passwords in NT based windows work, but I do know that server2003 absolutely will not let you log into an account with a blank password.

The Guest account is blanked too, and eventho every tool says it's not disabled, when I try to log into it I am told that the account is disabled.

I would be using NTPWD to do this but the os is on a raided set of sata drives and the ntupdate tool of NTPWD refuses to work on them.

It looks like this one has got me.... unless someone has a good idea I'm giving up.

Then something is bonked with your version of Active@ did you actually pay $60 for a license? If so drop the supplier an email and raise the question with them...

Also that article I posted does list other tools for resetting the Administrator password, tried any of them?

You won't be able to use the Guest account, I can't remember the exact details but there is something about the guest account on Server 2K3