Old power supplie and fan mod

proskater123

I saw a post in here about someone changing there power supply fan and it reminded me with what I did with my computer. I have used all the molex on my regular PS running the mother board, hd, and cd-rom. I love the idea of alot of fans and I like the sound of them while I sleep so I have alot running in my case. BUt soon I ran into a problem. No way to power all of them. So I came across an old PS and it wouldn't work with any new mother boards and had a switch to turn it on. So you didn't need a mother board to turn it on. So I set the PS on the bottom of the case ran the switch out side of the back of the case and connected some fans to the PS and wallah! I have more spots for fans or anything else that needs power. Ill post the pics today or tomorrow if I remember.

You can actually make more modern PSUs (ATX PSUs as opposed to your AT one) turn on by connecting the green wire on the motherboard power connector to a black wire on the same connector, a paper clip or a piece of wire will do the trick. You could add a switch in there too if you wanted, it's safer than a live switch with 110/220v on it covered only by a thin piece of (likely old and weakened) rubber.

You can actually make more modern PSUs (ATX PSUs as opposed to your AT one) turn on by connecting the green wire on the motherboard power connector to a black wire on the same connector, a paper clip or a piece of wire will do the trick. You could add a switch in there too if you wanted, it's safer than a live switch with 110/220v on it covered only by a thin piece of (likely old and weakened) rubber.

well the problem with that is that there are 7 black wires on that same connector.