Random XP boot failure

silentknight329

Yesterday i started up my computer and it says "no active partition"... so i put in the xp cd set the bios to boot from disk and xp works fine... i find this very strange so does anyone know or have any idea how to fix this.. that would be GREAT!

thanks

Yesterday i started up my computer and it says "no active partition"... so i put in the xp cd set the bios to boot from disk and xp works fine... i find this very strange so does anyone know or have any idea how to fix this.. that would be GREAT!

thanks

You have to mark a partition as "active". Most partitioning tools (including, IIRC, Windows' own partitioner) can do it though it varies between tools exactly how.

thats the funny thing... they are all active.. i have 3 partitions each 40 gigs each all active.. but when it boots it says there inactive... weird

No so, I'm afraid, unless you have 3 40GB HDDs. See, there's only 1 partition active on a drive (or should be, if it's bootable, otherwise there's none). So using whichever method or tool you happen to prefer, you must set your boot partition active.

Is it possible you wiped your NTLDR or deleted it? Maybe malware got to it?

There is a way to put it back on the primary drive, I just don't emmeber how to do it.

Check this wiki to see if there is anything that might help: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NTLDR

sry bout taking so long to reply

i tried setting the boot drive to active it gave me that option when right clicking on it so i did...

then it said missing NTLDR so i will do some research on how to get it back if you know how let me know.

thanks

sry bout taking so long to reply

i tried setting the boot drive to active it gave me that option when right clicking on it so i did...

then it said missing NTLDR so i will do some research on how to get it back if you know how let me know.

thanks

I had a video around here somewhere that walks you through it, but I cant fint it at the moment. I do know that it is something you can do with either an install disc or recovery disc, but you don't do the install, instead you bring up that command promp(I think shift f10, or somethign like that) browse the cd and there is a util to do it for you. Google it, I am sure there is something out there, but I just cant find the video at the moment.

Try this: Recovery Console Option

Go into the recovery console by booting up with a Windows XP cd and go through the options till you get to the recovery console, you will need the admin password for this option (if you do not know it, just hit enter, that will work if it is blank). Then issue the command: fixboot

http://www.tinyempire.com/notes/ntldrismis...dows_without_it?