problems installing os

shadow1100mfp

i have an old pc; probably close to 5 years old now; it was fried once; all that was saved was the harddrive and dvd burner; it worked fine for another year after that happened, until the power supply melted and i put it up for a while; well i got  anew power supply and put it in, fired it up but it didnt work; so i reinstalled xp (was planning to do so anyway), but after it installs it doesn't do anything.... what am i doing wrong? i do a clean instlal every time and a full format of the hard drive (ive tried both fat 32 and that ntfs one). i want to use the computer as a host to my printers and music files, and without an os its usless to me. can anyone help please?

Is the CMOS battery working, the HDD still fully functional, does it post, all the cables connected properly, etc. Do a run down over everything simple like connections and bios post, etc, and then start it up again.

Is the CMOS battery working, the HDD still fully functional, does it post, all the cables connected properly, etc. Do a run down over everything simple like connections and bios post, etc, and then start it up again.

i have; as far as i know the battery is working; the hard drive is fully functional; it's all kosher. i've hooked it all up three times; im pretty sure the cables are all ok. the hard drive works when attached to another computer; i had it hooked up to another winxp machine (because i wasn't going to let a 160gb harddrive just sit there in a dead computer) but i never used it; i just copied my old files from it when the old computer died. i didnt delete anything; but that shouldnt matter since im trying to do a fresh install

Does Ubuntu work?

im not sure; i don't want to put anything other than windows on the computer because it's one that will commonly be used by some people that don't know much about computers (and windows is the only os i know really well and can help/automate as much as i can)

im not sure; i don't want to put anything other than windows on the computer because it's one that will commonly be used by some people that don't know much about computers (and windows is the only os i know really well and can help/automate as much as i can)

If Ubuntu works, it prove that the computer is failing to function as the result of a short coming of windows, and prove the the computer is actually fine. If Ubuntu fails then the computer has a hardware related problem.

If Ubuntu works, it prove that the computer is failing to function as the result of a short coming of windows, and prove the the computer is actually fine. If Ubuntu fails then the computer has a hardware related problem.

I have PC's that Ubuntu will not even load on, so that isnt always the case, but windows runs damn spiffy on them.

This is only a joke!!

width=278 height=94http://www.twistedpairrecords.com/digip/ipuntu.png[/img]

I am not an Ubuntu hater(I actually have it and use it ONCE in a while), but sometimes Ubuntu is not the only answer...

What exactly does it do? Say there's no OS? Say it can't find a HDD? Screen go blank?

Sounds at first look like the Windows bootloader isn't working for some reason, perhaps it installed it on another drive or for whatever reason the BIOS can't hand control over.

What exactly does it do? Say there's no OS? Say it can't find a HDD? Screen go blank?

Sounds at first look like the Windows bootloader isn't working for some reason, perhaps it installed it on another drive or for whatever reason the BIOS can't hand control over.

well it installs fully, and gets to the point where it tells me to restart (restart) and then it doesnt do anything, like it almost isnt recognising the os itself;

its installing on the right hard drive because i only put one harddrive in (the h/d that the os was originally on)