Tweaking cable modems

themagician_3

How fast is your cable internet connection running right now? To be honest, I don't think modifying the modem will really offer you any better download speeds.

As far as I know, the speed of the internet connection is regulated by the ISP rather than the modem itself. Also, even if you were to drastically increase the available bandwidth, single files and web sites will still run about the same speed due to bandwidth throttling on their end. So, I would resolve that even if you could get a decent speed increase, the actual usage of the hack would be well, mediocre.

How fast is your cable internet connection running right now? To be honest, I don't think modifying the modem will really offer you any better download speeds.

As far as I know, the speed of the internet connection is regulated by the ISP rather than the modem itself. Also, even if you were to drastically increase the available bandwidth, single files and web sites will still run about the same speed due to bandwidth throttling on their end. So, I would resolve that even if you could get a decent speed increase, the actual usage of the hack would be well, mediocre.

Depends. If the Modem is flashable, and is currently running Docsis 1.0, and your ISP supports Docsis 2.0, then yes, you will get faster speeds, but most of the time, you need to just upgrade to a newer modem. That is what I did a few months ago and my speeds jumped from like 700-1200kbps downstream to 25-30,000kbps. Huge difference, and all I did was get a new modem that supported a newer Docsis level. The older modem was docsis 1.0 compliant RCA piece of crap and the newer one is Docsis 2.0 compliant Linksys(BEFCMU10).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DOCSIS