USB, Audio and DVD disappeared

OtterFox

Hey,

I'm running windows XP and was just starting Counter Strike: Source when my computer appeared to freeze up, so I rebooted and my mouse and keyboard still wouldn't work.

So I just tried with my PS/2 keyboard and mouse and they worked, so after trying to play CS:S with my trackball mouse (very averagely) I discovered that my Audio did not work either, I then got out my drivers disk for the audio and USB drivers and discovered that my DVD drive had disappeared too.

I have a DFI infinity NF ultraII-m2 with a X2 3600+ and a 8600GT. Everything is running at stock speeds but the NB has had a zalman passive cooler fitted and runs a little hotter than I would like(60 degrees).

Thanks, Otter

Sounds like your motherboard has given up the ghost, if resetting the cmos doesn't work then try re-seating everything. If that fails, consider swapping out your mobo and psu. (We had a few at work that died in the same way this week).

Sounds like your motherboard has given up the ghost, if resetting the cmos doesn't work then try re-seating everything. If that fails, consider swapping out your mobo and psu. (We had a few at work that died in the same way this week).

I'm thinking a southbridge problem?

Also before the audio broke completely about half the time my audio would only work in the right ear, and I tested my headphones and they work fine in everything else.

Ive tried reseting the BIOS to optimized defaults but that didn't help.

I think it mite be dead too, I think I mite have send it back then.

No no no, you need to either remove the battery and boot it, or use the clear cmos jumper. But tbh it sounds like its fucked. Basically, if hardware is broken, its just easier to throw it away/rma it and get a replacement. The only real value to a computer is the data, so dd your disc and place an rma request.

No no no, you need to either remove the battery and boot it, or use the clear cmos jumper. But tbh it sounds like its fucked. Basically, if hardware is broken, its just easier to throw it away/rma it and get a replacement. The only real value to a computer is the data, so dd your disc and place an rma request.

You're awesome VaKo, popping out the BIOS battery worked and everything is back online.

Thanks  :D