Dual wifi router ?

G-Stress

Hey guys I think I might be on the right track, but not 100% sure. I got this customer I'm getting ready to setup 2 wireless router's for. 1 is provided by her work I believe the brand was (zytel) it was my first time ever hearing/seeing that brand. The other was a netgear. I'm not sure if her job will mind if she runs the rest of her home network through the zytel router. What im thinking to set these 2 up with different SSID's is:

Cable Modem --> WAN Port on Zytel Router --> Port 1 on Zytel to her work box --> port 2 on Zytel to WAN Port on Netgear with DHCP disabled.

Then the rest of her home network would connect to the netgear router either wireless or wired. What I'm not sure about is, being that DHCP is disabled in the netgear will the DHCP client in the Zytel still issue addresses to the Netgear in this setup? Then my other ? is if she wanted to prevent her job from seeing the rest of the home network traffic would this setup accomplish that or what would be required to prevent that?

Thanks in advance.

if she wanted to prevent her job from seeing the rest of the home network traffic would this setup accomplish that or what would be required to prevent that?

With that configuration all the network traffic is routing though the zytel. You want to to be connected to the Netgear which in turn connects to the cable modem.

How many public IP's does she have? If its only one (ie home broadband being paid for by the office), then as far as I can see, leave the zytel in the box and just hook up the netgear. Is there any specific reason for having 2 networks?

Yea she has like 6 computers in her home network. She is only assigned one public IP for her cable modem. The reason for the 2 networks is to route her one (work) machine through  the zytel (the zytel was issued to her from her work) and the rest of her home network through the netgear. I realized that after I posted that yea all the traffic would technically being going through the zytel, but would that be the proper way to do that? If I had 2 wireless routers in that case would the DHCP client in the zytel assign the netgear addresses with a cable from say port 3 on the zytel to the wan port on the netgear? I would assume that and the netgear maybe get an address of 192.168.1.10 and then continue to assign addresses across the lan ports.

I'm going to try to set this up for this lady on friday. Hopefully I'll get it working to her satisfaction.

Still don't quite see why she needs the zytel, is she accessing work via a VPN? Does the zytel do something specific or is there a specific reason for using it other than it being a free router from her work? If its for security you could  just hang one router from the back of the other and use nat but it would be easier to set up a seperate VLAN or use a VPN for the work stuff (if her office has one). If its just because your want to use the router then don't bother, easier not to in this case. If you want to hack around, play with dhcp forwarding, switching from gateway to router mode, disabling NAT etc. Run one router at 10.0.0.1 and the 2nd at 10.1.0.1.

Okay, thanks VaKo. I did advise her she could just use one of the router's, but she mentioned something about "will her work see the traffic from the rest of her home network" on the zytel. Which is why she got a seperate Netgear. I found it interesting, because it's something I thought about doing myself along time ago, but your saying for the configuration I mentioned I'm guessing what I was looking for was "DHCP Forwarding" that sounds about right. I could forward an address from the Zytel to the Netgear and that being done the Zytel will provide DHCP addresses accross the netgear as well? Pretty much I was trying to turn the netgear into a switch/WAP with an SSID.

I wanted to do it for the experience and knowledge I will more then likely just setup the Zytel if her work will allow that, but i will definitely play around with setting both up. Yea she does use a VPN also I believe.

Thanks guys I will hopefully be able to satisfy this lady I mainly wasn't sure about how the netgear would assign addresses broad casted from the Zytel if that is the case, but I think I can probably figure it out now :grin:

If work doesn't pay for her internet its illegal wiretapping if they snoop on her network traffic. Also, if she's using a VPN, being behind 2 routers might be an issue. If you just plug the zytel into the netgear and make them use seperate network classes it should be fine (ie 10.0.0.1 for the netgear, set the zytel to use a static IP for its WAN connection and 192.168.0.1). You might get some weird DNS issues but I doubt it.