getting vmware to boot from usb

digininja

I'm trying to make a bootable usb drive and it would be good to test it with vmware but by default it doesn't support booting usb drives.

I've read a few sites that say it isn't possible and a few that give solutions which involve mapping the usb to a drive on the vmware and booting that.

Has anyone here figured out an easy way to do it?

Couldn't you just boot it on your system locally?

I want to play with the start up scripts and auto hardware detect stuff and so if I make a change I don't want to have to shut the pc down boot it, test it and then restart the machine again. That is why I wanted to get vmware working so I could just hit the restart button and see what happens.

I've tested my only other spare machine and even with the newest bios it won't boot from usb.

Convert the image on the USB stick into a VMware image and use VMware to boot from that, should work as that is how I tested some operating systems on VMware which would be placed on compact flash.

Do you have any links to info on how to do that? I'm sure I could google some up but if you have any that you know work it would save effort and potential red herrings.

Convert the image on the USB stick into a VMware image and use VMware to boot from that, should work as that is how I tested some operating systems on VMware which would be placed on compact flash.

Do you have any links to info on how to do that? I'm sure I could google some up but if you have any that you know work it would save effort and potential red herrings.

there is on in IronGeeks vids page