CAD product design software

Sparda

Is there any (quote unquote) 'industry standard' (kind of like UML for OOP software design) software for designing products that are to be manufactured?

I ask because I have a cool thing in my head, and I can't draw for shit (as was already previously discussed) and would like to, at least, toy with the design of it. The only CAD software I have any experience with is Pro Desktop.

In high school and college I used AutoCad, but it has been many years since I have touched the software. Used to be able to get it for free(I think it is still possible if your a student) but I know they charge for it. Maybe search for an open source version of AutoCad. Its pretty much what any draftsman and architect would use for standard design on a computer and presentation rendering.

edit: http://www.torcomp.com/Autodesk/

• SolidWorks is the industry standard for 3D work.

AutoCAD is industry standard for 2D work.

Multisim and Ultiboard are pretty much the industry standard for PCB design.

National Instruments LabVIEW is the industry standard for data acquisition, instrument control, and industrial automation (works with Multisim) .

CST Microwave studio is pretty much the industry standard for 3D electromagnetic simulation.

MATLAB and Simulink are industry standards for modeling, simulating and analyzing multidomain dynamic systems, among other things.

Depending on what someone is looking to design will greatly affect what software you may need.

There is also this: http://www.osalt.com/brl-cad

for open source AutoCad similar design.

AutoDesk offers 3d rendering software as well as 2d AutoCad, like 3ds Max and Maya.