Antivirus Suggestions' for Linux Ubuntu Server

Rodder

Good morning everyone. 

Looking for a good Linux antivirus program that's free for ubuntu server. Let me know what you would recommend based on your experiences. 

Thanks in advance,

Rodder

So it is to scan the files that have been uploaded rather than to protect the server itself as the files won't actually get executed on the server so wouldn't be able to do it any harm.

Unfortunately I still can't recommend anything as I don't run AV on any of my Linux boxes, but I was just curious about the use case.

I think one of the things you need to watch out for is that whatever you chose has to be generic enough to scan for malware that could affect any OS. Don't pick something that will only detect things that affect Linux boxes.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, digininja said:

So it is to scan the files that have been uploaded rather than to protect the server itself as the files won't actually get executed on the server so wouldn't be able to do it any harm.

Unfortunately I still can't recommend anything as I don't run AV on any of my Linux boxes, but I was just curious about the use case.

I think one of the things you need to watch out for is that whatever you chose has to be generic enough to scan for malware that could affect any OS. Don't pick something that will only detect things that affect Linux boxes.

Thank you for the tip. I will keep looking, want something lite but robust enough to cover all bases. I appreciate you @digininja!

On 2/1/2024 at 11:58 AM, dark_pyrro said:

What upload volumes are we talking about and are the files known to be large in size? Any sensitive data/information?

Very sensitive in nature - PII. Files are not large, PDF forms. 

I'm guessing the suggestion was going to be to upload something like Virus Total but that won't work for this.

If all you are handling is PDF files, you could look at disassembly and reassembly. I can't remember the name but there is a company who do it for email attachments, they strip documents down and then put them back together without anything unnecessary in them.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, digininja said:

I'm guessing the suggestion was going to be to upload something like Virus Total but that won't work for this.

If all you are handling is PDF files, you could look at disassembly and reassembly. I can't remember the name but there is a company who do it for email attachments, they strip documents down and then put them back together without anything unnecessary in them.

Thanks again @digininja i have a call today with the software developer. going to ask them about this and what other customers use. 

There are actually quite a few options, most of the big names make a Linux version of their tools. They are generally unnecessary so unused and so not talked about.

• Thanks 1