WIFI Pineapple TETRA Not Accessible

crypt0ace

I got a Pineapple TETRA ( MK5.8 as it says in the back). I have it connected to my PC on the USB A port to the Pineapple with the other end. Here is an image for reference.
oWcOKzh.jpeg
I have added the IPs like so. IP: 172.16.42.42 Netmask: 255.255.0.0
DNS: 8.8.8.8.
Image for reference:
EUhU9sR.png
I cant seem to connect to the pineapple on http://172.16.42.1:1471. I cant ping it either. Right now the LEDs enabled are all three solid. The network cable also mentions its unplugged. Not sure if thats intended. Cant find anything on the book that came with it.

I would agree to the assumption that it's power related.

From the docs
"The WiFi Pineapple TETRA requires 24W for normal stable operation"

So, doing a bit of simple math...

USB 2.0 can provide power in the following ways
During enumeration = 100 mA
After enumeration and possible negotiation = 500 mA

If the main connector of the Y-cable is successful in negotiating 500 mA and the "slave" connector only gets 100 mA since it's not a real USB device, just something that draws power and can't be enumerated, then...

5 volt, 0.5 amperes = 2.5 watts
5 volt, 0.1 amperes = 0.5 watts
Which will result in a max of 3 watts

If the "slave" connector would be able to enumerate itself and get 500 mA as well, then...

Which will result in a max of 5 watts

Pretty far from the minimum requirement of 24 watts, right?!

Even if it's USB 3.0 delivering power, it will for sure struggle to reach 24 watts.

Using the 12 volt barrel connector and a 2 amp power source will result in the 24 watts needed though. A 2 amp powerbank (minimum) would work if using USB since there should be no USB host enumeration going on in such a scenario.

There's no way you would be able to provide enough juice using the Y-cable. Even though it's possible to get the Tetra running using it, it's still not within spec although the docs say the Y-cable can be used. It will probably reach some spike in power consumption which the USB Y-cable can't provide and either "stalls" or reboots and that's what you're experiencing.

1 hour ago, dark_pyrro said:

I would agree to the assumption that it's power related.

From the docs
"The WiFi Pineapple TETRA requires 24W for normal stable operation"

So, doing a bit of simple math...

USB 2.0 can provide power in the following ways
During enumeration = 100 mA
After enumeration and possible negotiation = 500 mA

If the main connector of the Y-cable is successful in negotiating 500 mA and the "slave" connector only gets 100 mA since it's not a real USB device, just something that draws power and can't be enumerated, then...

5 volt, 0.1 amperes = 0.5 watts
Which will result in a max of 3 watts

If the "slave" connector would be able to enumerate itself and get 500 mA as well, then...

Which will result in a max of 5 watts

Pretty far from the minimum requirement of 24 watts, right?!

Even if it's USB 3.0 delivering power, it will for sure struggle to reach 24 watts.

Using the 12 volt barrel connector and a 2 amp power source will result in the 24 watts needed though. A 2 amp powerbank (minimum) would work if using USB since there should be no USB host enumeration going on in such a scenario.

There's no way you would be able to provide enough juice using the Y-cable. Even though it's possible to get the Tetra running using it, it's still not within spec although the docs say the Y-cable can be used. It will probably reach some spike in power consumption which the USB Y-cable can't provide and either "stalls" or reboots and that's what you're experiencing.

So, I understand that. But right now Im using the adapter that came with it plugged into the wall. and the USB Y cable (both ends) plugged in my laptop. The adapter comes up but still no luck getting it to work and still network cable unplugged on the network manager.

The UART port. I used the same Y cable that came with it and put in the UART port. A COM6 comes up in the device manager. Can I somehow try and do a recovery mode on the pineapple using it? Or how can I do a factory reset on the pineapple some other way. My company ordered it 2 years back and I just got my hands on it so Im not sure if its messed up or anything. Maybe a reset might help.

What happens when you follow the documented way of doing a firmware recovery? I would suggest trying that first instead of walking paths that isn't documented or complex to achieve.

Other things to check; try different USB cables, try different USB ports on the computer, try connecting the Tetra to other computers...

8 hours ago, dark_pyrro said:

What happens when you follow the documented way of doing a firmware recovery? I would suggest trying that first instead of walking paths that isn't documented or complex to achieve.

Other things to check; try different USB cables, try different USB ports on the computer, try connecting the Tetra to other computers...

I tried that. Pressing the RESET button for 7 seconds. Lights dont change or flicker. All three seem to be solid (which is also the same as I plug it in). Set the IP to 192.168.1.2/24 but cant access the webpage. It also says a WiFi recovery mode. But the AP of Pineapple_xxxx never gets up.

3 minutes ago, dark_pyrro said:

You are mixing things up. Pressing the reset button for 7 seconds is used when doing a factory reset, not when doing a firmware recovery. I'd suggest you read the documentation a bit more in depth.

It won't be possible to get it delivered to Pakistan, at least not from the Hak5 shop

https://shop.hak5.org/pages/compliance

https://wiki.wifipineapple.com/#!troubleshooting.md

Using this.

Held for 10 seconds as well still no change.