FTP Server Prob

Brennan

I have a problem with my FTP server. it dosen't allow connections from outside my LAN. but it will display in the browser. I changed and forwarded port 2121

I am using Serv-u but I have tried filezilla and Cerberus

Note that your router must be aware that you're doing FTP across that port.

Port 21 is the port over which you send your commands. Downloads such as files or directory listings are sent across a separate connection that is negotiated (PASV or PORT) across that port 21 connection. If your router is unaware this port is used for FTP it will not allow the connection that fetches the directory listing or files from your FTP. When you access an FTP via a browser (which is bad, hmmkay? Use FileZilla) you won't be able to see the distinction between inaccessible FTP and FTP whose directory listing you cannot fetch.

OK more detail is that they couldn't receive a directory listing and I have also tried multiple ports.

Note that your router must be aware that you're doing FTP across that port.

Port 21 is the port over which you send your commands. Downloads such as files or directory listings are sent across a separate connection that is negotiated (PASV or PORT) across that port 21 connection. If your router is unaware this port is used for FTP it will not allow the connection that fetches the directory listing or files from your FTP. When you access an FTP via a browser (which is bad, hmmkay? Use FileZilla) you won't be able to see the distinction between inaccessible FTP and FTP whose directory listing you cannot fetch.

my ISP block all service ports except 21 so I am asuming that the port is going to be blocked so could you tell me what I need to do so I can get my router and/or server software to recognize that is on a diff port