PDF Files

Chalito

Hey guys, I was wondering if anyone had any idea how to make a PDF file editable on a computer. Not sure if you guys will understand what I mean. I want to be able to take a standard PDF file and make it so that someone could download it and fill in the requested information through there computer without having to print it out and fill it in by hand. Any help would be appreciated . Thanks alot.

The situation is that i'm at the office right now and this was just thrown at me. They basically want me to make every pdf from we got to be able to be filled in by someone if they download it off our site. And i'm not completely familiar with Adobe Acrobat.

The situation is that i'm at the office right now and this was just thrown at me. They basically want me to make every pdf from we got to be able to be filled in by someone if they download it off our site. And i'm not completely familiar with Adobe Acrobat.

Ye, you definitely need to use a different document format. Open Document Text and Microsoft Word formats are what you should use.

When editing the web site (which I assume you are going to be doing), be sure to have a link next to the MS word link that says "Don't have Microsoft Word? Download this document in OpenOffice format. Get OpenOffice here.".

In this way you are only mildly bias to MS Office and are making it as accessible as possible (no pre-requisite for a pay for product). The painful bit of this is that some one has to make sure the formatting is correct in both MS Office and OO documents.

Hey guys, I was wondering if anyone had any idea how to make a PDF file editable on a computer. Not sure if you guys will understand what I mean. I want to be able to take a standard PDF file and make it so that someone could download it and fill in the requested information through there computer without having to print it out and fill it in by hand. Any help would be appreciated . Thanks alot.

Check the adobe site first.

What you would need to do is have them answer questions, take the answers, and post it into a pdf for them to download. EX: when you do your taxes online, they ask you a number of questions, and at the end of it all, they calculate all the data and "poof" they prompt you with a pdf of all the info gathered from you loaded into the pre-made pdf, but with all the fields updated from your input.

I would imagine if your work needs hard copies in pdf format for archival purposes, this would be what they need as well as give the user their copy to print on their end. We do this where I work for all bank statements, so Open Office is an alternative, but it has yet to break the corporate side.

I think there is a function in OpenOffice suite to convert them to PDF when saving, (Export to PDF) so this would work for you as well.

Check the adobe site first.

What you would need to do is have them answer questions, take the answers, and post it into a pdf for them to download. EX: when you do your taxes online, they ask you a number of questions, and at the end of it all, they calculate all the data and "poof" they prompt you with a pdf of all the info gathered from you loaded into the pre-made pdf, but with all the fields updated from your input.

This requires server side scripting. This would be the best way (where manual editing isn't done by the user). Chalito, are you allowed to do this sort of thing on your companies web site?