assigning static ip to host?

suboba

It's mentioned in a few places that the turtle can be configured to assign a static ip address to a host computer it's connected to.

From "Connecting for the first time": 

Once bootup is complete, the LAN Turtle’s network interface on the USB facing side will offer the host computer an IP address via DHCP.

Ensure the host computer is configured to accept IP from DHCP, or alternatively specify a static address in the LAN Turtle’s IP range.

How do I do this?

The target computer I'm connecting to has a static ip address and I'm not able to configure it to get a random one from dhcp.  

I'm having trouble using the configuration menu.  Anytime I try to enter the DHCP settings, putty crashes and I get: Network error: Software caused connection abort.

As for the Static menu, is that for giving the host computer a static ip or is that for setting the turtle's ip?

Bottom line is  the host computer can't get a network connection because the turtle isn't giving it the ip addr it expects.

Just going by your message and nothing else.  Are you referring to the network connection over eithernet or the network connection over USB?  Cause those are two different things.   When you plug in the lan turtle over USB to your computer it makes it's own "network" connection and get a DHCP IP from the lan turtle.  Once you know what it's IP is then you could give your PC a static IP if you prefer. 

If you are referring to the lan turtle's network port, it's been a while but I believe you give the turtle itself an IP to make the network your going to plug it into.  At least that's how I've done it in the past.

I think I am referring to the usb side.  Suppose the target pc I want to connect the lan turtle to has a static ip address of: 10.10.50.102 and I cannot change it (it's administered by someone else).  How do I configure the turtle to assign it that specific address?

By default, the turtle will give an address in the 172.16.84.x range.  How do I statically assign 10.10.50.102 to a host I plug it into?

But that's the thing that I think your getting confused on.  There are no USB static IPs on computers that are just sitting around.  When you plug in the lan turtle via USB you are creating that "virtual" network.  There was nothing there before it.  So by default it'll be dynamic (DHCP).  I can't think of a reason of why you'd want to make it static but I guess the option is there.  But it is not a TRUE ethernet network.  Think of it as a virtual network between you and the lan turtle or that pc and the lan turtle. 

So hopefully that wasn't too confusing but to answer your question above.  If the computer has a static IP of 10.10.50.102 that is a physical ethernet connection.  The lan turtles 172.16.84.x network is a virtual network between the lan turtle and that computer.  So that computer will automatically get am IP of 172.16.84.x.  It'll still have the 10 network because that's a different network.  So at that point it'll have two networks.  Hope this helps.

hmmm... then maybe I've came to the wrong conclusion about the ip address being the issue.  Well, in any event, I plug in the turtle and the target pc has no network connection whatsoever!

scenario:  the ethernet cable is plugged in directly to the target pc and the pc is working fine and getting a network connection.  I then plug the turtle between the ethernet cable and an available usb port on the pc.  The pc doesn't get a network connection.  What can I do here?

I've tried multiple usb ports and I know they are all to be working because I've tried different usb devices on them.

I think we have to put ourselves in the shoes of an admin.  If you had a pc, how would you configure it to prevent a turtle from working if connected to it?

• 3 years later...

There's a lot of "if" and "but" here. However, if you have a PC that has an assigned IP address that is set as static, it will be static for the specific network interface where it's configured.

Let's say that the PC has an onboard Ethernet NIC that has the address 192.168.1.100. If you unplug the Ethernet cable from that NIC and insert the LAN Turtle to any USB port of the same PC, the IP address of 192.168.1.100 won't all of a sudden "jump" to the network interface that the Turtle represents.

There is also some kind of confusion about how the sentence from the Turtle documentation should be interpreted.

"Ensure the host computer is configured to accept IP from DHCP, or alternatively specify a static address in the LAN Turtle’s IP range."

This shouldn't be read in the way that it's something that is done from the Turtle side. It's something that should be done on the target PC side ("Ensure the host computer is configured"...). Also, "alternatively specify a static address in the LAN Turtle’s IP range" refers to the target PC, i.e. you should set the static IP address manually on the target PC from the range 172.16.84.0/24 (that the Turtle is using for its eth0 interface). It's not something that the Turtle will do for you, or can be done from the Turtle side.

You could of course make the Turtle use some other IP range than the one mentioned above by "hacking" the configuration of the Turtle. That, however, won't make it possible to make the IP address "jump" from an already configured IP address on the target. You need to know the IP address beforehand if even being close to succeed and also other information that would be relevant in a "locked down" network (such as route, DNS, etc.). In a black box engagement, you often don't know that kind of information without prior recon.

Archived