Network Clients for Deauth Strange Issue

RahatTepe

HI all - bit of a general question here, would hope to learn more about exactly what is going on technically.

I'm attempting to test and capture a handshake from my own AP (an older Apple Airport router).

I've used various tools from airgeddon to wifite to fluxion to manual airodump-ng and the weird thing is: I cannot see a single client connect to the AP.

But my laptop and two mobile devices are connected. I've even disabled/enabled WiFi on the mobile device during a fluxion passive listening attack, mdk3 doesn't work, nothing sees any clients.

I've also run the same experiment on a new Airport Extreme AP, and it captures just fine and sees clients.

For this, I'm using an ALFA adapter with the Ralink RT3070 chipset (802.11b/g/n) @ 2.5Ghz.

I'll boot up the Nano which I just got recently next, but just curious as to WHY various tools are unable to see clients, therefore unable to deauth (or even passively listen) to ultimately capture the CAP

Thanks!

Hi RahatTepe,

Two great videos for you to help guide you through. You should definitely be able to see connected clients. Either you don't have the correct device in monitor mode (or selected) or you're using a single network interface to perform this exercise.

Archived