Power surge on USB port

b1gbroth3r

Hey everyone, 

I've been messing around with the Tetra the past month for my company (they purchased it and sent it to me) without any major issue. I just purchased a Pineapple for my personal use, which arrived today. I ran through the initial setup without a hitch, but wanted to flash the firmware to 2.5.4 for compatibility with SSLSplit and DWall. I had done this on the company's Pineapple without issue, and I thought my personal Pineapple had been flashed without issue. However, after the flash my Pineapple no longer gets detected by my Kali laptop, regardless of what I try. I've tried multiple factory resets and attempted a manual firmware upgrade, but that was unsuccessful as the device isn't registering its network interface.

I then attempted to connect the pineapple to my Windows laptop to see if I would have better luck, when it started spamming me with "Power surge on USB port" errors. I have never experienced this before, and the only way to make it stop was to unplug my Pineapple and restart my laptop. If anyone knows what I did wrong, how I can go about fixing this, or if I just completely bricked my new Pineapple, I would appreciate the feedback.

Thank you so much for your time!

On 10/18/2019 at 4:17 PM, b1gbroth3r said:

I've tried multiple factory resets and attempted a manual firmware upgrade

Have you tried a firmware recovery? https://docs.hak5.org/hc/en-us/articles/360010471774-Firmware-Recovery  This is different from a reset.

It is possible that it is just a firmware issue causing the problem.  When you did the manual upgrade what version were you on previously?  If it was newer than 2.5.4 this is not advised to do.  you should first do a firmware recovery followed by a manual upgrade to 2.5.4

Hey thank you for the reply! I'm not actually sure what fixed it, but it seems to be working normally again. I did try a firmware reset the other day but couldn't get one to go through successfully. Eventually I just killed the power and let it sit for a day and when I came back to it this afternoon it seemed to work just fine again!

I appreciate your response, have an awesome day man! 🙂

15 hours ago, b1gbroth3r said:

Hey thank you for the reply! I'm not actually sure what fixed it, but it seems to be working normally again. I did try a firmware reset the other day but couldn't get one to go through successfully. Eventually I just killed the power and let it sit for a day and when I came back to it this afternoon it seemed to work just fine again!

I appreciate your response, have an awesome day man! 🙂

Glad to hear it is working again 👍

Archived