Encryption help

Exmix

So I recently got myself a 2nd External Drive I want to use for Backups and such. So I wanted to encrypt the entire drive but not sure what to use. I'd like it to be used on Windows and Linux so I can backup files and such from both systems. When I looked into it I had read about Veracrypt but i'm curious to know what you guys might use/have used and recommend.

Veracrypt will work fine but you either need to create a small partition on it for the portable version to sit on (so you can take the drive anywhere and access the files from any PC after decryption), or you need to have Veracrypt on all the PCs you're going to use the drive with.

Veracrypt doesn't use a known file-system encryption, it just encrypts everything into it's own format so you need Veracrypt (or some other Veracrypt decryptor) to read the files. That's what pushed me away from it - but then again if you want portability you just create a separate partition with Veracrypt portable on it as I said earlier.

Hope this helps!

2 minutes ago, Dave-ee Jones said:

Veracrypt will work fine but you either need to create a small partition on it for the portable version to sit on (so you can take the drive anywhere and access the files from any PC after decryption), or you need to have Veracrypt on all the PCs you're going to use the drive with.

Veracrypt doesn't use a known file-system encryption, it just encrypts everything into it's own format so you need Veracrypt (or some other Veracrypt decryptor) to read the files. That's what pushed me away from it - but then again if you want portability you just create a separate partition with Veracrypt portable on it as I said earlier.

Hope this helps!

Ah I didn't know that about Veracrypt. Not too big of a deal to keep a small Partition for the portable version, but I can see why that would semi annoying that you NEED Veracrypt to decrypt it.

1 minute ago, Exmix said:

Ah I didn't know that about Veracrypt. Not too big of a deal to keep a small Partition for the portable version, but I can see why that would semi annoying that you NEED Veracrypt to decrypt it.

Yeah. I would prefer something a bit more universal, but then there's the question of 'is it secure enough so that even though every knows what it is they still can't access it?' Most of the time it's no. You could try AES?