Chances of Full Screen View

T3rr0rByte13

Forgive me it has been a while since I have kept up to date on what Is possible. What are the chances that someone who I live near would have full screen access to my PC? I think I can tell when they connect as my icons blink as the video driver refreshes and seems to know what I am looking at on my screen. Is this even possible? Its driving me insane - really.

Feeding paranoia solves nothing. Find evidence and work out the issues, if there really is one.Unless your network or device has been compromised, and you know this somehow, more than likely, you're over thinking things.

Is it possible for someone to remote-view or even remotely login to the machine, sure. Can they take screenshots? Sure. But they'd have to compromise the machine in some manner to do so, either by being on the same network, or you running a program that allows them access to the machine, or clicking and executing some sort of exploit code that gives them full control of the machine. Living near you isn't a requirement, and location could be anywhere from in the same house to half way around the world. If you really think the machine is compromised, investigate, or more paranoid, just nuke the box and reinstall. If you think it's your network that they could have gotten into, then assess your setup and fix as needed.

First thing, check for loose cables, loose video card, and updating drivers for the Graphics card. Could even be a faulty monitor, monitor settings or refresh rate. Rule out the obvious things first and then work out the rest.

It is possible, yes, but improbable IMO. Hackers generally use command line only, there's no real need to see someone's screen in most cases. It also exposes them more, as the data being issued between you and them would be much more than command line would use, and constant instead of in small snippets.

Wireshark and nmap are your friends. Spend some time filtering down everything that you know is you, your stuff and the stuff you visit/use. Anything left is suspect and you can investigate from there. Just don't let paranoia get the better of you.

In order to view a screen remotely, there has to be a connection to either an outside IP/domain, an internal zombie device (in which case you'll have to continue to trace the connection through this device), or an internal device that shouldn't be on your network.

Edited by haze1434

15 hours ago, haze1434 said:

In order to view a screen remotely, there has to be a connection to either an outside IP/domain, an internal zombie device (in which case you'll have to continue to trace the connection through this device), or an internal device that shouldn't be on your network.

This. Basically speaking - if someone wants to remotely connect to a computer and see the screen there needs to be a 2-way communication - the client and the host. The host (the computer being connected to) is saying "hey, here's my current screen details:" and the client (the connector) is saying "okay. I want you to do this next:" and the host says "okay. Here's what happened:". So there needs to be a device receiving information from the inside and a device sending information from the outside.

This is why RDP ports were so dangerous. They automatically reply with data because they are always listening for connections, so people could spam at those ports or send data that wasn't RDP over those ports.