Bootable USB drive ... ON a BIOS that doesnt support it

Earthpiper

Any Ideas huh? huh? I want to run Fedora on a USB drive but I can't get my mobo to boot from USB and I've checked BIOS updates and one that supports USB bootable devices dont exist... Atleast not from the manufacturer. If you have any Ideas let me know or a Hacked bios website Dhanke.

Well if your motherboard doesn't support booting from USB you're pretty much screwed.

Not nessaserily. You could boot using a Floppy or CD that then loaded the OS off the USB memory, but if you are doing that you may as well boot off the CD drive and then save specific stuff to the USB memory.

Well if your motherboard doesn't support booting from USB you're pretty much screwed.

Not nessaserily. You could boot using a Floppy or CD that then loaded the OS off the USB memory, but if you are doing that you may as well boot off the CD drive and then save specific stuff to the USB memory.

I guess but that's not really booting from the USB.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Check your manufaturers website for the mother board and see if there is a flash utility to "Flash" the bios with an update. I did this on an old pentium 200mmx and was able to get it to boot from the cd-rom drive when it was not listed by default in the bios.

You will probably need a floppy drive to install the update.

For mine, I saved the flash boot file to a floppy and on boot when you get the main screen where it says something like "Press delete to enter bios", etc, you press F2 (or at least on mine) and it reads the floppy before it goes any further. It the loaded a flash utility that automatically flashed the bios (if I remember correctly). IT does not boot from the floppy itself though, and this probably only works on a Bios that allows you to "Flash" it to upgrade the bios.

If your boot screen does not have any prompts at the bottom to upgrade the bios then your probably out of luck, but like I said, check your manufaturers website for the motherboad and bios and see what they have. Many of them can be upgraded or reconfigureed with various utilities. Try google if all else fails.