Sharing enterprise Ethernet connection

84matte84

Dear all,

I am a happy owner of a Wifi PineApple Mark V. I was wondering if it can be used to share an ethernet enterprise connection to my wifi devices. To do this I would need the pineapple to spoof the MAC address with my etnerprise laptop address.

Is it possible?

Thank you for the support

My best 

Guess you could use macchanger to spoof the macadress of eth0. But if its an enterprise network, the switch you connect to will error disable the port if it detects a connected router or switch and traffic flowing to multiple macadresses on its port if that port is not set to trunk.. 

So in theory yes.. in your use case probably not if its a proper network.

On 6/12/2016 at 10:31 PM, Smarty said:

Guess you could use macchanger to spoof the macadress of eth0. But if its an enterprise network, the switch you connect to will error disable the port if it detects a connected router or switch and traffic flowing to multiple macadresses on its port if that port is not set to trunk.. 

So in theory yes.. in your use case probably not if its a proper network.

Dear Smarty thanks for the reply...it is however not easy for me to understand the following; it the pineapple is used as a proxy by my wifi devices and then the pineapple forward all the traffic to the enterprise proxy as if it was directly the pineapple to ask for that traffic....how can the enterprise network detect my wifi devices?

Thanks in advance

You asked to share your ethernet connection, so if you would use the pineapple as a layer 2/3 device an enterprise switch would catch you in the act.

If you would set it up as and internet proxy, so application / session layer it could work, but you would lose all other functionality (eg domain functionality etc) to your coorporate laptop. Furthermore, the company could slap you on the wrist (or worse) for introducing a security risk into the network....