Fixed wing done

Primz

Hello all, hope all is good as can be. Long story short was just about to pay a immense amount for a phantom4 drone (£1250) (birthday present am not rich yet) and thought for that price I think the bulk of that money would be mainly the camera and controller as the spec of the phantom4 is generally standard with the added feature of flight awearness and obbstickal awearness and some pretty cool other trackong features but for that price I personally think I can build my own. I know some people who are a bit crazy and spend most of there time flying RC planes and helicopters and from their personal experience building a drone is not as tricky as you would think.  I have had my eye on a fixed wing drone called the disco for a few months now but don't think it comes to market until the end of 2016. So do I wait for this disco fixed wing drone or do I get the phantom4 or do I make my own. Granted my own made drone will not be as swanky as the others that are on sale but the challenge and the fact that I would have built it myself sounds so rewarding. But if I do build my own drone I would want to go down the fixed wing route. Any ideas or thoughts? 

Primz 

• 4 months later...

I don't know if you are still looking at this but DJI just released the MAVIC which is pretty cool, compact, and has a great range.  If not that then I would look at the phantom 4.  The problem with a fixed wing drone is it is not going to hover and trying to get good aerial footage of an object is going to be hard as it will essentially always have to be in front of the drone because you can't fly side to side or backwards and you can't hover and maintain altitude in a fixed location.