PoE to USB data adapter?

HammerHead_0718

I know I'm reaching here but is there such a thing?

Imagine a cat5e/6 cable connected to a POE Ethernet to USB adapter that not only connects the nano to the internet/network but powers the device.

One can only dream.

Everything I see just supplies ethernet to usb power but no data. Please.... someone prove me wrong!

This would be pretty easy to hack up tbh as long as you're using a usb to the ethernet adapter plugged into your host port on that NANO (using my Turtle-Nano Soup instructions for connectivity). Take the POE pins off the ethernet cable, plug them into 5V, and have those pins go to a power-only USB cable. I'm on vacation, but I could hack something together and post it if anyone is interested in seeing it come to life.

telot

No, that won't work.

This would be pretty easy to hack up tbh as long as you're using a usb to the ethernet adapter plugged into your host port on that NANO (using my Turtle-Nano Soup instructions for connectivity). Take the POE pins off the ethernet cable, plug them into 5V, and have those pins go to a power-only USB cable. I'm on vacation, but I could hack something together and post it if anyone is interested in seeing it come to life.

telot

If it's a dumb poe switch, that would work, but 99% of the poe switches you'll find will need some kind of confirmation from the device to turn on power. There's enough power over unpowered ports to fire up the device enough to tell the switch "hey, I require 12v at 1amp", or "I require 24v at 20amps" and the switch will then turn on power. I can guarantee running 24v at 20 amps will cook your desktop's network card, if you're lucky.

Edited by barry99705