Cisco Catalyst 2948G

debianuser

Hello guys

we've just got a Cisco Catalyst 2948G Switch as a gift - and as all donations.. they come without manual...

after hours looking for a manual on Cisco website, which i did not find...

i then start wondering how in the world, you access that switch to configure it...

there are no "mode" button, just plug the AC and voilà...

anyone using a switch like that? tips?

thanks

I did a google search for 2948g manual and got this link:

http://www.cisco.com/application/pdf/en/us...a0080122191.pdf

It seems to be what you need. It's 588 pages long and covers the specific model number of your switch.

As for managing the device, have you tried connecting a console cable to the thing and managing it with either minicom or hyperterm.

I'm going to guess that you're a linux guy by your handle, so I'll throw a bit of experience at you - I can never get a cisco device to work with minicom unless I create an rc file and open minicom with that file. Maybe I'm a loser, but that's the only way it works for me.

For example:

cat /etc/minicom/minirc.cisco

# Machine-generated file - use "minicom -s" to change parameters.

pu port             /dev/ttyS0

pu baudrate         9600

pu bits             8

pu parity           N

pu stopbits         1

Don't worry with the machine generated bullcrap, just copy and paste that into /etc/minicom/minirc.cisco (as root).

Then open minicom like this (as root)

minicom cisco

Works every time for me. If you find that your switch uses different settings, edit that file manually (or with minicom -s) and start minicom again. Don't waste your time hanging up and reconnecting within minicom.

Have I said minicom enough? :)

Hope that helps and I hope that document helps you. If you've been searching for hours you've probably already ran across it, though.

[edit]

Something else I just thought of, minicom and screen both use CTRL-A as their control keys so you're going to screw yourself if you open minicom in a screen window.

Create yourself a bash alias like this in your .bashrc and root's.

cat .bashrc | grep minicom

alias minicom='minicom -m'

make sure you run: source ~/.bashrc as root (and your normal user) to activate the changes.

I'm sure there's a way to run minicom as a normal user but I've never taken the time to figure it out.

I did a google search for 2948g manual and got this link:

http://www.cisco.com/application/pdf/en/us...a0080122191.pdf

It seems to be what you need. It's 588 pages long and covers the specific model number of your switch.

As for managing the device, have you tried connecting a console cable to the thing and managing it with either minicom or hyperterm.

I'm going to guess that you're a linux guy by your handle, so I'll throw a bit of experience at you - I can never get a cisco device to work with minicom unless I create an rc file and open minicom with that file. Maybe I'm a loser, but that's the only way it works for me.

For example:

cat /etc/minicom/minirc.cisco

# Machine-generated file - use "minicom -s" to change parameters.

pu port             /dev/ttyS0

pu baudrate         9600

pu bits             8

pu parity           N

pu stopbits         1

Don't worry with the machine generated bullcrap, just copy and paste that into /etc/minicom/minirc.cisco (as root).

Then open minicom like this (as root)

minicom cisco

Works every time for me. If you find that your switch uses different settings, edit that file manually (or with minicom -s) and start minicom again. Don't waste your time hanging up and reconnecting within minicom.

Have I said minicom enough? :)

Hope that helps and I hope that document helps you. If you've been searching for hours you've probably already ran across it, though.

[edit]

Something else I just thought of, minicom and screen both use CTRL-A as their control keys so you're going to screw yourself if you open minicom in a screen window.

Create yourself a bash alias like this in your .bashrc and root's.

cat .bashrc | grep minicom

alias minicom='minicom -m'

make sure you run: source ~/.bashrc as root (and your normal user) to activate the changes.

I'm sure there's a way to run minicom as a normal user but I've never taken the time to figure it out.

Thanks dude... i also got windows (just in case)... i will try that out..

as for the console cable, did not have one.. guess I will have to build one tonight, i found this diagram

http://ftp.digi.com/support/techsupport/co...RJ45--db9F.htm#

one thing i wonder though, is would a rj45 rollover do it instead of the console cable?

thx

Bit late now, but when I needed some special jumpers for some seagate scsi drives I acquired, I emailed seagate and asked if they would kindly send me some. Which they did, with a nice insert saying enjoy your hard drives. So you could try asking cisco nicely, because its free and the worst thing they can do is say no.

Bit late now, but when I needed some special jumpers for some seagate scsi drives I acquired, I emailed seagate and asked if they would kindly send me some. Which they did, with a nice insert saying enjoy your hard drives. So you could try asking cisco nicely, because its free and the worst thing they can do is say no.

true... anyway can't find any old serial cable to use

I'm almost positive a cross-over cable won't work as a serial cable. However, you can probably create your with a diagram and, some rj-45 ends, and a crimper (though buying all of those parts will be expensive) and then build the rj-45 to 9-pin serial adapter from radio shack parts.

You need a serial cable, though, and it's handy to have more than one. Do you have a computer shop in your area that you can buy one from? You might even be able to get a free one from one of those mom-and-pop shops.

http://www.dealtime.com/xPC-Monster-Cable-...R-www.google.fr

The cable you need is the first one in the list. Don't worry. it says it's for the AP 1200 but all cisco equipments uses the same serial cable.

Once you're connected in, if there is an old configuration in it, and if you don't have the passwords, you can make a password recovery. You can find it with google. It's a easy procedure once you have the documentation.

If I remember well, there's also the possibility to get the default configuration back by playing with the front little button (press it something like 10 seconds) and the power cable. You can try several combinations, there's no risk at all. It's a strong switch. (Really, I totrtured some cisco switchs and none of them died :twisted: ).