Lan Turtle no longer working

nel

Hello guys,

First let me say the LAN turtle is awesome! However, after receiving it an playing with it for 1 hour it seems to have broken. I setup autossh, went to demo to a friend and the LAN turtle seems to have broken.

The green light stays on solid when plugged in. I get no IP address and my interface remains inactive. I've tried the unbrick steps, but the interface remains unactive and the light stays solid green. I configured the interface to 192.168.1.2 as instructed, but could not get to https://192.168.1.1. Can my LAN turtle truely have broken in less than one hour of messing around with? Am I missing something, any suggestions? Any help is appreciated, thank you.

That's odd - the unbricking process should work no matter what. The bootloader is locked down so there's little chance you've overwritten it. I'd say standard troubleshooting process invokes here - try a different machine and different cable. Failing that email support@hak5.org. As a new product I'd like to review yours in the lab where we can more easily hook up a UART.

• 4 months later...

Not sure if this was ever resolved but I just received my LAN Turtle and a nearly identical issue happened. I plugged it in, all seemed well but the turtle stopped responding, wouldn't boot, couldn't "unbrick" following the instructions. Nothing worked but the green light. I was writing an email to support when I decided to plug an active ethernet cable into the turtle first BEFORE plugging the turtle into a computer or power source. Lo and behold, the thing booted. If I plugged it in without a cable, it appeared dead again. So I plugged it into my network, then plugged it into my notebook (running Kali) and it appeared to boot. I was able to access the menu and update to the latest config. Now it seems to work fine, booting without the cable. Not sure if there is some ethernet adapter boot sequence in the thing that got swapped somehow or what, but plugging into the network first and then into a computer fixed it for me.

I continued having issues with my turtle. I emailed support but have not heard back yet. I narrowed it down to definitely a hardware issue as the device refused to boot at all (no amber light at all) and even the reset button stopped working. I started looking at every solder joint on the board and noticed the Winbond BIOS chip (8 pin next to the Atheros chip) had poor joints and one contact seemed to be lifted up from the pad completely. I re-soldered the whole chip and now the thing works perfectly every time.