Security Network Tools

CaptainDoogles

Thats like saying "I've just bought a house, what furniture should I buy?". What software you use is all down to what you intend to do with it, if you are going to develop exploits then you'll need a very different tool set to if you want to do web app testing.

The best thing to do is to ignore the tools, start to do what you are interested in and when you find you can't do something with what you've got then track down a tool that does it. Don't just install tools because someone else uses them otherwise you'll have a drive full of things that you never use or will be forcing yourself to use tools inappropriate for the job because you struggled to install it and feel you have to use it.

I wasn't going to just start installing software. Was curious to that people where using to research and maybe install. I Google alot but I miss out on some stuff because I don't really talk to many people. I found out about Ekahau from a vendor doing a wireless servery. And has been great for what I need. Just kind of looking for new blood or see if there is anything good out.

I heard someone say there was a nicer program then putty to remote cisco, citrix and linux but I forget. Thats all.

I'll still give the same reply, without knowing what you are interested in there is little point giving lists of tools.

When you google, what are you searching for? You have to have some targets in mind. By the sound of it you like wifi, is it wifi based tools you want suggestions on? If so, defense, attack, audit?

I'll still give the same reply, without knowing what you are interested in there is little point giving lists of tools.

That is exactly the point. Just start to solve the problem from the other side which means, ask yourself WHAT is your AIM and specify the problems. Make a list of things you want to solve and then search the tools you need to fix that. You could start like this:

- easy to setup Firewall -> controlling data flow in general

- recognizing attacks in LAN -> software that i.e detects arp spoofing or other kind a man-in-the-middle

- recognizing Wifi attacks -> deploy a raspberry pi that scans for packets (monitor mode) and detects i.e. deauthentication packets against your network, logging known devices around (as probe requests and beacon frames) and detecting abnormalities and so on ...

- logging what is going on -> who is in your network and which ip/mac adresses are used, maybe logging traffic as well (source ip, destination ip, data volume)

you can extend the list as you want. Just try first to define your problems/aims.