Kali Linux 1.0.9 Raspberry pi help!

Ransom

Ive been having a problem booting Kali linux on the raspberry pi

I wrote the image to the sd card but when I insert it into the RPI and power it up, I just get a black screen, I used 7-zip to extract the img file from the .xz file I downloaded from Kali.org and used Win32 disk to write the .img to the SD card. am I over looking something?

im using a class 10 64gb SD card and a RPI model B+ It says on Kali.org version 1.0.9 of the Kali ARM for the RPI is compatible with the B+ model.

It is compatible and I have a working instance of Kali that I use on a model B+. I've never used Win32 to copy images but if you have a linux machine available (or just create a VM) you can use dd.

dd if=kali1.0.9.img of=/dev/sdx bs=1m

Where /dev/sdx points to your sd card.

Edited by sud0nick

http://images.offensive-security.com/1.0.9/kali-1.0.9-rpi.img.xz

This is the proper download link... I have made the mistake of downloading the wrong image and then my pi just black screened after installed and boot...

unxz is the tool I used for extraction... (I think)

Installation is as simple as posted above...

After your first successful boot, you may notice that your harddrive space IS Not 64gig, you will have to use a tool like gparted to resize the partition from a linux machine

Edited by i8igmac

I already had the correct file but it seems theres no correct way to do this unless im using a linux machine, I dont have much experience with VMs other than running Kali linux on one but not sure how to export files from one

Well this could be a great learning experience for you on virtual machines. I did my own test on Windows 8.1 with Win32DiskImager and Kali Linux 1.0.9 and it worked just fine. A couple things could be wrong with your setup such as a corrupt SD card or not enough power to your Raspberry Pi. The power issue could be related to how many USB devices you have plugged in but regardless you should have a power supply that outputs at least 5V at 2A. Do some troubleshooting and update us on what you discover.

Edit:

Also, as i8igmac, stated you will have to resize the partition, or create a separate partition, to use the rest of your SD card once you have a functioning image of Kali. If you don't have another Linux system to use gparted on you can achieve the results you want by using fdisk and resize2fs. Here is a tutorial I found that may help you: http://geekpeek.net/resize-filesystem-fdisk-resize2fs/.

Edited by sud0nick