I'm new to this

Boss_hogg

It helps to first state what it is you're trying/planning/hoping to do, and what you've done so far in order to achieve this.

First I want to help friends who forget their windows passwords log back into their machine without reloading the OS. Android wise want to see what my kids are doing on their phone. Went to school for network and security management but the showed u very little.

1. Getting onto a Windows box after the password has been forgotten.

Try this article. I googled for "Windows recover forgotten login" and this was the 3rd hit on the page.

2. What's happening on an Android phone.

This one's tricky and I suspect people will tell you that you shouldn't be doing that in the first place. If you don't trust them with a phone, you shouldn't have given them one, that sort of thing. What do you (not) hope to discover?

1. Getting onto a Windows box after the password has been forgotten.

Try this article. I googled for "Windows recover forgotten login" and this was the 3rd hit on the page.

2. What's happening on an Android phone.

This one's tricky and I suspect people will tell you that you shouldn't be doing that in the first place. If you don't trust them with a phone, you shouldn't have given them one, that sort of thing. What do you (not) hope to discover?

I have a teenage so who uses a text program instead of text through carrier. He has had trouble with the school and law. He has his phone pattern locked. Concerned parent.

Fair enough, but if he finds out he won't be very pleased with you. Don't say you weren't warned.

So you want access to those texts. I'm assuming the difference between the two things you mention is like he's using something like WhatsApp and not regular SMS for sending texts. You could use a traffic sniffing app like this (I'm sure there are more and/or better ones) but this only works when the app sends/receives its texts in unencrypted format, which it probably doesn't.

An alternative would be to install a keylogger, but then you only get what he sends to others and not what they send back.

The problem with both is that the logger would produce a file *on the phone* so you either need to find a way to get that phone away from him, in which case one could argue that you should just demand the phone from him and read any texts you want, or the produced file needs to be sent back to you via some other means. I don't know if something like DropBox or CloudShark or such can be used for this. Chances are the kid will, for starters, notice the app on the system and probably instantly remove it meaning the setup won't work.

Did you put some thought into this yourself? Like, how you would get the result from any sniffer in your personal possession?

And maybe equally important, what do you expect will happen when you confront him with the found data, assuming it's in some way against the rules you've set out for him? This is an important thing to decide for yourself before you embark on this endeavour.

Fair enough, but if he finds out he won't be very pleased with you. Don't say you weren't warned.

So you want access to those texts. I'm assuming the difference between the two things you mention is like he's using something like WhatsApp and not regular SMS for sending texts. You could use a traffic sniffing app like this (I'm sure there are more and/or better ones) but this only works when the app sends/receives its texts in unencrypted format, which it probably doesn't.

An alternative would be to install a keylogger, but then you only get what he sends to others and not what they send back.

The problem with both is that the logger would produce a file *on the phone* so you either need to find a way to get that phone away from him, in which case one could argue that you should just demand the phone from him and read any texts you want, or the produced file needs to be sent back to you via some other means. I don't know if something like DropBox or CloudShark or such can be used for this. Chances are the kid will, for starters, notice the app on the system and probably instantly remove it meaning the setup won't work.

Did you put some thought into this yourself? Like, how you would get the result from any sniffer in your personal possession?

And maybe equally important, what do you expect will happen when you confront him with the found data, assuming it's in some way against the rules you've set out for him? This is an important thing to decide for yourself before you embark on this endeavour.

Thanks for the help my man