Fresh AP121U 64mb or 32mb?

lws803

Hi, I know this topic had been discussed repeatedly and is probably outdated now. But I'd like to know if the 64mb version works fine with the latest wifi pineapple 2.8.1 and 3.0.0. I recently bought an AP121U from ebay and I fear I might have purchased the wrong model. Based on this thread, I hear that you can't flash the wifi pineapple directly onto an empty chip? If so, will these two tutorials here and here help with that? Oh and are all ebay retailers selling 64mb AP121Us now?

Thanks!

P.S I have a serial cable and I've done flashing via uboot before, just wondering if an 'empty' AP121U chip contains at least a uboot firmware running inside.

Edited by lws803

I don't know the currect terms for it but i call it the memory address which the firmware looks to that address block to know where to install the firmware to that address might be slightly different on a 64mb model im sure it might work but you'd need to find the memory address block I believe the OpenWRT site has a guide on it and it might be the same when it comes to flashing so i might be wrong on what i said before.

But all you need to do is first flash OpenWRT on that AP-121 and then ssh into the the AP121 via ssh and use scp to transfer the pineapple firmware issue the sysupgrade -n -v upgrade.bin and it will flash the firmware their follow this video but flashing OpenWRT is not in the video you will need to follow the OpenWRT guide

How to Flash OpenWRT on AP-121: http://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/alfa.network/hornet-ub

Installing Pineapple on a AP-121 after flashing OpenWRT: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i58XOF4Rfc4

You will need to order a serial cable to flash the firmware if you don't have one already if you don't have one you can get one off hak5 shop.

I got a old MK4 laying around debating if im gonna use it or if im put it up for sale on ebay for like $50 maybe someone will find a better home for it. I'm not even using my n900 which i thought about selling when i can replace the keypad cause the keypad is not US guy sent me the wrong keypad on ebay.

But on topic reading the above post i do recall others talking about something with the memory not being detected i guess its basically like the 32 bit and 64 bit if you got 8GB od ram and you're running a 32 bit os your only gonna see like 4gb?

Is there a way to edit the swapon space and expand it to 64mb since the space is unused anyway.

Edit: I just bought another AP121U from ebay. Haha the reason why I didn't buy the wifi pineapple mkV instead was because it can't be shipped to a PO box and they couldn't ship it over to Singapore. Yeah, they gave me a refund :( but I really do appreciate their efforts for finding out if they could deliver it to Singapore.

Edited by lws803

I am pretty sure the image for firmware isn't able to allocate that much memory. Plus, swap space is memory allocation, so it would be a lateral move.

I think the firmware will still install to it, but just not use the stuff it cannot allocate.

Alright, I hope it wont run out of memory during operations, heard that 32mb is pretty much sufficient for the mk IV. Is it possible to connect an external wifi usb dongle to the AP121U and use it for client mode?