Missing Ruby Gem breaks Metasploit Framework?

factgasm

Besides the Pineapple I am trying to learn how to use Kali Linux.

Over the weekend I was interested to take a look at exe2vba.rb which converts exe code to vba.

Not having the first clue about Ruby, I cloned a copy of exe2vba.rb from Github then tried tinkering to get it to run.

First of all I tried running it from the command line using the suggested command: ruby exe2vba.rb [somefilename].exe

That wouldn't work, so I installed ruby on rails. I then tried the same command again but kept getting the error message "Could not find i18n-0.6.9 in any of the sources"

So I installed Bundler. After hours and hours of trying to trying to install and get them working correctly I then discovered that exe2vba.rb now appears to have been replaced by a Kali command "msfpayload" anyway. Great.

Now that I've gone back to try "msfpayload" that command has stopped working: "Could not find i18n-0.6.9 in any of the sources".

Screenshot

In fact it appears that I have broken my Metasploit Framework completely by installing Ruby on Rails, Bundler and so forth. Typing "msfconsole" at the command line simply results in - you guessed it - "Could not find i18n-0.6.9 in any of the sources". Joy.

This is all the more galling as I now remember trying out msfpayload one afternoon about two months ago - so there was never actually any need for me to get embroiled with exe2vba.rb in the first place. Perfect.

I have tried everything I can think of to get Metasploit Framework running again but I simply keep running into the same error message: "Could not find i18n-0.6.9 in any of the sources"

You can see from the top of the screenshot that that gem appears to be installed.

As I am utterly mystified and confused any constructive help would be most welcome.

I no longer care for exe2vba.rb nor ruby, I just want my Metasploit Framework back please.

I don't have the post handy, but someone here mentioned that this is a known issue caused by using a 'too new' version of Ruby with Metasploit...

I don't have the post handy, but someone here mentioned that this is a known issue caused by using a 'too new' version of Ruby with Metasploit...

Funnily enough it might have been me that posted that very linky-loo-loos.

https://forums.hak5.org/index.php?/topic/32335-getting-an-error-on-kali-when-using/?p=247731

Also:

http://tinyurl.com/kuncn6o

Edited by factgasm

Yes indeed it was the version of Ruby I had installed on my machine that was causing the problem.

Downgrading to an older Ruby (I tried 1.9.3) stopped those error messages appearing and allowed Metasploit to work

The only problem I now have in running anything Metasploit related is I get notification stating

"It seems your ruby installation is missing psych (for YAML output).

To eliminate this warning, please install libyaml and reinstall your ruby"

These seem easy enough instructions to follow (famous last words).