iPod & XP Pro Upgrade

Forgotten

Well,

I have recently upgraded my laptop to Windows XP Pro SP2. Of course I only upgraded the filesystem, so everything stayed the same.

But since the upgrade I cannot get my iPod to appear in my iTunes or Windows Explorer. I have:

Resintalled iTunes

Rebooted Computer

The Fives Rs (Reset, Retry, Restart, Reinstall, Restore) on the iPod

Did all possible variables that was mentioned on the Apple support site.

What happenned?

[EDIT] Also, when I connect the iPod, I get the "doo-dee" noise, the "Do Not Disconnect: on the ipod, and I see "Safely Remove Hardware" in the taskbar with the name "USB Mass Storage Device -> Apple iPod Storage Device".

To me it sound like the drivers that Windows needs to read the device are missing. Of course those are probably installed with iTunes but "things" can happen. Try checking the device manager for red or yellow icons when it is hooked up which could indicate missing drivers or worse problems.

To me it sound like the drivers that Windows needs to read the device are missing. Of course those are probably installed with iTunes but "things" can happen. Try checking the device manager for red or yellow icons when it is hooked up which could indicate missing drivers or worse problems.

Checked that, it says:

"Generic CardBus Controller" And it was disabled.. So now I enabled it.

And some old printer driver that never worked.

Lets see if it works!

And the verdict is.... no.

I have recently upgraded my laptop to Windows XP Pro SP2. Of course I only upgraded the filesystem, so everything stayed the same.

You upgraded the filesystem so everything stayed the same? So up converted your FAT partion to a NTFS partion?

You misunderstand what I'm trying to get, you contradict your self in your first sentance. You say you upgraded to Windows XP Pro Sp2 (from what you didn't say) then go on to say that you only upgrade the file system... so I have no idea wtf you actualy mean...

You misunderstand what I'm trying to get, you contradict your self in your first sentance. You say you upgraded to Windows XP Pro Sp2 (from what you didn't say) then go on to say that you only upgrade the file system... so I have no idea wtf you actualy mean...

With Windows XP Professional's Disk. You can do the following installations:

1. Upgrade (Recommended) - Installs Windows XP Pro on your current system by only upgrading the core system files. This means your data is not touched during the installation.

2. Install - Installs Windows XP Pro on your computer

I chose upgrade, so all of my files, settings, registries (I think), remained.

Does the machine see any device when you plug your ipod in? Does it find new hardware etc or does it complian about not being able to find what its looking for driver wise? First thing to do is hook up the ipod to a 2nd machine, if that works (and it should) then put the ipod to one side for the moment. Then you need to get the XP drivers for your laptops USB ports etc.

If you wanted an easy way of fixing this, backup everything and do a clean install of XP. Then start from that fresh base, install the required drivers and do a fresh install of itunes etc. Depending what OS you upgraded from, you can run into issues with an windows upgrade, just like any OS. So your best bet is to backup, whipe and do a fresh install every time. What i think has happend is that your newly upgraded XP install has problems with the USB drivers from the old OS.

XP home to pro isn't going to fuck with the usb drivers then. Might have been an issue if you were upgrading from 98 or something, so ignore that. Kinda sounds like the upgrade didn't go 100%, anything else not working at all? USB sticks etc work ok? From a technical standpoint its probally fixable, by manually removing everything relating to apple/ipods from your system, ie iTunes, Quicktime, any iPod software at all, even if its not from apple. Then start again. But in this situation, it would save a lot of time and effort if you just backed up then ripped out XP for a fresh install. Sometimes these issues take weeks of pissing around before you find a solution and even then its still not 100%. I know it sucks but its one day of setting up your machine again vs. weeks of stumbling round in the dark looking for answers.

Have you run the driver install CD for your laptop? Or tried installing the latest intel inf's/drivers for your chipset? If its an intel chip with an intel chipset you'll need the latest intel chipset drivers or the USB ports won't work. www.guru3d.com should cover it, check the downloads section.

Have you run the driver install CD for your laptop? Or tried installing the latest intel inf's/drivers for your chipset? If its an intel chip with an intel chipset you'll need the latest intel chipset drivers or the USB ports won't work. www.guru3d.com should cover it, check the downloads section.

Downloaded the utility. Got a folder full of .inf & .cat files, where do these go?