Broadcasting ethernet traffic wirelessly

Hey guys. I'm new to Hak5 so please take it easy if I say something stupid... Anyways, I was wondering if there was a way to splicing a cat5e cable, with something like a t-junction connector, and then broadcast the traffic wirelessly on a private network? I'd really appreciate any ideas and you can also get me on gmail @ alaric.chidom@gmail.com

Edited by AlaricPrimus

Yeah.. I think I could do that, but I was thinking of using a LAN tap, to monitor the network an then broadcasting the tap on a wireless network, but without being present, using something like, umm, i dunno, a NIC with some sort of power source that has the sole purpose of shouting the traffic on the network that's hardcoded on its board... just a thought i had, in case i ever need to sniff ethernet packets on a network, and i only got one chance...

I'm confused. Wifi is basically ethernet (frames) just over radio. If a private network over wifi is what you want, then you want a tunnel or VPN setup between two nodes?

Ad-hoc wifi with a VPN or even Radius setup for authentication to the network so wired and wireless devices can connect to one another.

I'm trying to see in my head how taking wired cable(which honestly a wired network would always be more secure than a wifi network, but anyway) and splicing it to make it into some wifi device works?

You can create a software defined radio to transmit ethernet over various mediums of radio, such as HAM radio, walkie talkies, etc, but not sure what exactly you are trying to accomplish that you can't with a USB wifi nic.

Maybe I didn't fully understand the question, but I would just get a USB wifi card, create VPN network among the machines you want on the private network, done?

• 2 months later...