Issues with Karma in Mark IV

catohagen

That's exactly what I was saying. I'm sure updates are in the works. I however didn't put in that link to pwnieexpress. Don't know why you added that.

I think my link to the product is being deleted by a moderator. Not sure why.

sorry, im posting from a mobile device so I must of posted the link in your quoted text in error.

What i was saying is, devices already exist that are what I would consider "hack in the box". For example the pwn plug r2.

http://pwnieexpress.com/products/pwn-plug-r2

now, this device cost's a heck of a lot more, but ... check out what all it can do.

Wait so let me get this straight you have to manually add each SSID you want people to auto connect to?

I was under the assumption that didn't need a list of access point names.

Where is the log file located for the SSID list for karma so i can just paste in a list of popular SSID names from like http://wigle.net

Be nice if someone could start making a list of common SSID names that we can load and then append to it from the Karma Config.

Wait so let me get this straight you have to manually add each SSID you want people to auto connect to?

I was under the assumption that didn't need a list of access point names.

Where is the log file located for the SSID list for karma so i can just paste in a list of popular SSID names from like http://wigle.net

Be nice if someone could start making a list of common SSID names that we can load and then append to it from the Karma Config.

You only have to do this for older devices. Until Karma is fixed the newer smartphones(most likely those after mid 2012) will not connect.

The probes are sent and karma.log is full of ssid's picked up, both secured and unsecured ones, so you could manually change ssid.

wait what? i don't think i get what you're saying.

Are there no SSID's in a list by default?

Also im curious as to what the black and white is is for

im guessing black list is to reject any SSID's in the list and the white list im guessing is to only allow SSID's in the list to connect.

Still kinda curious to know where the SSID names are saved on the Mark VI.

wait what? i don't think i get what you're saying.

Are there no SSID's in a list by default?

Also im curious as to what the black and white is is for

im guessing black list is to reject any SSID's in the list and the white list im guessing is to only allow SSID's in the list to connect.

Still kinda curious to know where the SSID names are saved on the Mark VI.

There are no default list, because its not needed, Karma just listens for 'hellos' in the wifi spectrum from laptops and smartphones and 'fakes' the SSID's thats open.

At home i can turn on the Pineapple and get 15-20 different SSID's in karma.log after a few minutes, from my kids phones and laptops

, the log file are in /tmp/karma.log and I belive its lost if you reboot or poweroff your pineapple.

To keep the list of SSID's you have there, you need to copy or cat the log file to a usb stick or upload it with curl to a remote server.

Ohhh so i think i finally get what i thought it did all along so what i said about it was right.

Layman's terms....

If the if a Apple Mac Book Pro has every connected to a hotspot called "Free WiFi" the the computer sends out a probe looking for that SSID Name and says Hello, Free WiFi are you out there?

WiFi Pineapple replies Yup I'm the Free WiFi you connected to last time go ahead and connect me to me again.

So im curious to know as to what the SSID list setting is for.

I noticed that my my Motorola Droid A855 doesn't appear to auto connect to the WiFi Pineapple.

Does it only only work if say the person has used a Public WiFi that doesn't use a password?

Cause I swear i've never had any luck with getting my phone to auto connect to the WiFi Pineapple if i've only used my phone to connect to networks that required a password.

Say for example i've only connected to my router at home and my router at home uses a WPA password to connect to my SSID name called linksys

well i don't think the will will connect to the pineapple if my phone is looking for that router name because the phone stores a password for that router name.

• 3 weeks later...

I have problems with Karma on some devices but most work fine. One thing that I have found is how different devices behave in certain circumstances.

For some devices if they are connected to an AP already and I disconnect them or turn the AP off, they will not be caught by karma. If I then disable and enable WiFi on the device, Karma will grab them. I look at it kind of like the device is coming into range of Karma and couldn't see it previously, rather than it always having been there. Who knows, but it works for me :)

As I say, some devices get dragged in by Karma first time, every time. Apple devices (pre iOS 7) seem incredibly promiscuous and almost always dive on WiFi immediately. Perhaps they are trying to provide a better user experience by having WiFi as much as possible.

As for the comments regarding the hardware/project/support/reliability etc... I can understand the concerns expressed here, but I think we need to understand that this isn't a retail level, consumer grade product. The team at Hak5 have created a great product with very little resources at a good price point, something that should be applauded. It's aimed at a more tech savvy audience and is a very niche product. When I purchased mine I expected there would be bumps and hiccups here and there and that I would have to learn something along the way and maybe patch stuff up as I go. Perhaps that's just me but unless I can go and buy this off the shelf at a high street retailer, I'm not going to expect similar levels of support.

On the bright side, I'm getting a lot more comfortable with things like Linux and the command line since I started using the Pineapple, which is great!

• 2 weeks later...

I have the exact same problem....

KARMA: Checking SSID for start of association, pass through TestPineAP
KARMA: Probe Request from 88:53:95:98:43:7a for SSID 'UPC244817483'
KARMA: Checking SSID for start of association, pass through TestPineAP
i get all the probe requests, but karma does not create the needed AP for it. I want to fix it by myself so my question is... from where does karma get the SSID's to create (file)? Is it enough to add SSID's to the file or is the problem near Karma itself?

i was also only buying it because of this statements on the shopping page:

Anyone can use the WiFi Pineapple's simple interface to employ sophisticated man-in-the-middle attacks, gather intelligence and manipulate information from the comfort of a modern web browser.

I am your network. With a custom version of Karma the WiFi Pineapple looks to clients like any WiFi access point they've remembered. Looking for "MyNetwork"? The WiFi Pineapple reports to be "MyNetwork."
This simple violation of an inherent trust is what allows the WiFi Pineapple to gain the trust of most nearby wireless devices, putting you in the perfect position. It's Man in the Middle made easy.

Out-of-the-box support for over 300 Mobile Broadband Modems

Anyone can use it with the simple webinterface???? lol..... i dont know how often i already was in the console.

Does automatic create access points from probe requests .... oh no... it only not work on mine....

Out of the box support for 300 Mobile Broadband Modems.... i see only 4 in the Config, and mine dont work

i dont want to blame the Product, but i want to blame the sellers that writen the texts on there store. It is writen that everything works..... but the most important part because people buy this product dont work. So if someone still want to be so kind and help me to solve the Karma problem that is open since (forever) i would be very happy...

The device probably worked as advertised from 2008-2011 with the Karma functionality picking up probes and faking SSID's.

The problem seems to be with the creators/sellers of the Pineapple, as i'm sure its a problem that they cant fix as easy as some bugs.

Darren, Seb and moderators here seems fast and friendly to reply with faults they can handle, as if you start a script wrongly, or some command line arguments are wrong, shipping and packaging faults etc, they respond and fix these things within hours.

I've seen many people asking about Karma, and usally no reply's about why it doesnt work and the thread dissapear from the front page,

I tried and tested Karma with around 10 different phones and tablets and Karma never worked as advertised, I report my findings and would love to helped and debug any new development with fixing Karma.

Instead my problems where ignored and I continue to research and borrow friends devices and discover that phones from around 2011 works instantly with Karma, or Karma works instantly with devices from around 2011. Not with devices from bought 2012-2013

My intent with this thread where to help and put some light on this issue as Karma is cool as fuck, and I imagined I would have the Pineapple at home and everyone that visits would get internet access with their stored SSID's without touching some settingt or tapping an open wifi and that would just be cool :)

Instead after weeks and more posts from others with the same issues, we get a reason from the creators why there is so silent, they are ready to announce a new hardware revision. But during the launch and after launch there are no mention of Karma, instead they remove the text in the Hak5 shop about Karma and how Karma works, they mention in a Google Hangout that 'some reports' say Karma isnt working, and then we get the speech from Darren about the 'landscape is changing' and 'cat and mouse game' and 'some tricks up our sleeve' but no mention of when or if a update is pending.

If there was a update in the works, why not reply with this information in the thread several months ago ?

If there was a update in the works, why not offer a 'devel' or beta version up for testing ? if not public testing but closed to users who care and know alittle bit about linux and have the knowledge to proper test stuff `?

Why mention 'tricks up our sleeve' in the launch of the new hardware and not before the launch when this thread was started?, even a private message or email would do well if the need to keep the secret about the launch. Mentioning these new 'tricks' they have mid-launch for a new hardware revision seems questionable...

Im certain that no such fix is in the works, as some of the points above would have made sense to do.

I belive that they have no working Karma in development, the silence and lack of communication + the removal of the Karma advertisement in the Hak5 shop is proof of that.

I have no idea if Darren or any Hak5 people makes a living out of this (ie. no other job), but I got the sense of 'hostility' from here even if my intent was good and be helpful on a resolve. Ofcourse if they make a living out of this and the product isnt working as advertised I wouldn't be happy either when reading about unhappy users, its bad for sales and bad for reputation...but the way they handled this wasnt the best way.

Then the crusaders came around, defending...something I guess.....and nit-picking my arguments with really silly counter arguments...and thread was locked!

They handled it as a corporation and not as a community friendly/driven project.