Another (probably) Noob question

puzOpia

First, let me just say I am completely new to pen testing and such but I am a veteran tech and I want to learn more. I recently got something in the mail that was a promotion for a new TV series. Attached to the side of a fake old 5 1/4 in floppy I noticed a USB edge connector. Printed on the side it read "Insert this into your computer to watch the first full episode now!". I thought for sure that they wouldn't give out a video on a thumb drive so I checked it out. When I plugged it in, it acted a lot like the Rubber Ducky I've seen on Hak5 (a clever bit of marketing I must say). I'm sure that it was coded as a HID because I saw it rapidly open the "Run" box then type a URL to go to it's website and then I assume hit OK or enter to execute it. My question is, can I modify this device to make it more like a Ducky? What tools would I use to explore/modify it's contents?

Thanks in advance, I love this forum.

Look into something called "PSGroove" and "PSFreedom". A few years ago, when the first jailbreak for the PS3 was released, a guy called "Mathieulh" reverse engineered the USB device that did and released a version that you could flash to pretty much anything "PSGroove" and a version for iBoot on Apple devices "PSFreedom". At the time, I remember he published how he reversed engineered it (and I think the BBC did an article on him as well).

Don't know if this will let you re-program the device you've got, but it may let you reverse engineer it to see how similar it is to the ducky.

you want to figure out the chipset if possible, hints might be in a linux "dmesg" or under "device manager in windows" also what is the vid & pid of the device?

As for re-flashing - your looking for an icsp, jtag, or a button that may trigger a boot loader?

Edited by midnitesnake