hydra password confusion

SystemCrash86

After having made the switch from Backtrack 5 to Kali i thought i would give hydra a try. So i put my password in the middle of my password list and ran it.

However it threw up some errors about my password list being too long - huh? i dont get it

and yet if i run the same command with a much much shorter password list i have no problems.

root@SystemCrash86:~# hydra -Vv -l "myemail@hotmail.co.uk -P password.lst pop3.live.com pop3
Hydra v7.4.2 ©2012 by van Hauser/THC & David Maciejak - for legal purposes only

Hydra (http://www.thc.org/thc-hydra) starting at 2013-07-29 17:04:27
[ERROR] Maximum number of passwords is 50000000, this file has 1195353094 entries.

Can someone help as i dont how this happens ans beside isn't a bigger password list preferrable but yet i can't use it with hydra

Try using the split command, and make more than one list or check if the version of Hydra has a limit on how many it can read maybe. Might even be a config change to edit the limit, not sure, since I've never looked under the hood of Hydra. I do know some programs allow multiple threads though, maybe its a setting you can tack on, but if not, try and split the file by lines using "split" to make multiple password files.