usb mod

Guest nvysel24

Guest nvysel24

I was thinking. Since the pineapple only has one usb I wanted to add a jump drive for more space and maybe another wireless card etc. well the obvious solution is to get a usb hub and then that will solve it.

while that is a viable option that is very bulky and cumbersome i was thinking of taking it apart then buying a micro usb jump drive and soldering the connections to the back of the main usb. Then i put the case back on and boom still an open space for w/e i want.

here is my predicament. besides the obvious potential power issue of not being able to support 2 devices can a USB handle stuff like that? I know the USB standard can support well over 100 devices per port but that is using hubs/splitters.

does the chip inside that is running the usb ; is that able to handle more than 1 attached to the usb w/o a hub? I am going to guess for power consumption and space sake. they implemented a chip design where it has a dual functionality of doing both the USB and network jacks (thats how most desktops are)

Do you think that would work? i just don't want to burn anything out because I just got this but I also want it to be compact.

I was thinking. Since the pineapple only has one usb I wanted to add a jump drive for more space and maybe another wireless card etc. well the obvious solution is to get a usb hub and then that will solve it.

while that is a viable option that is very bulky and cumbersome i was thinking of taking it apart then buying a micro usb jump drive and soldering the connections to the back of the main usb. Then i put the case back on and boom still an open space for w/e i want.

here is my predicament. besides the obvious potential power issue of not being able to support 2 devices can a USB handle stuff like that? I know the USB standard can support well over 100 devices per port but that is using hubs/splitters.

does the chip inside that is running the usb ; is that able to handle more than 1 attached to the usb w/o a hub? I am going to guess for power consumption and space sake. they implemented a chip design where it has a dual functionality of doing both the USB and network jacks (thats how most desktops are)

Do you think that would work? i just don't want to burn anything out because I just got this but I also want it to be compact.

I'm not sure what your asking, but ill take a wack at it.

If your saying you want to solder a flash drive and a wifi card to the one USB port on the pineapple, that would, afaik, be exactly the same as using a hub, however you will have power problems

-Foxtrot

Guest nvysel24

haha sorry I tried to describe it best I can but my idea is just a concept. I wasn't going to solder a wifi card to it just a Micro usb drive to it for space. I might do a tutorial on it if i get it working and i can connect to 2 things . the max i believe is 700mah? right?

haha sorry I tried to describe it best I can but my idea is just a concept. I wasn't going to solder a wifi card to it just a Micro usb drive to it for space. I might do a tutorial on it if i get it working and i can connect to 2 things . the max i believe is 700mah? right?

Not sure. But yeah, I theory I think it would work, But i'm not a doctor, and i've never tried it, would be nice to have it in the Wiki if it does work :)

-Foxtrot

Guest nvysel24

ooook well ill take the plunge and try it and document it. and put up a wiki page if it works. I do hardware hacking all the time. This is just a little expensive for me to accidentally break.

I know for a fact that if i solder a usb drive to the back of the usb connection that will work. but I am not entirely sure if i can connect a 2nd thing to it

ooook well ill take the plunge and try it and document it. and put up a wiki page if it works. I do hardware hacking all the time. This is just a little expensive for me to accidentally break.

I know for a fact that if i solder a usb drive to the back of the usb connection that will work. but I am not entirely sure if i can connect a 2nd thing to it

Report back :)

-Foxtrot