Probe responses ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff

13uz

Hi just wondering wether any one could clear this up for me, I have a Huawei wireless modem the 3g type now when I'm running wireshark i noticed that it send a constant stream of probe responses to ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff, now am i right in thinking that an AP will only send a response when receiving a request and why would you send a response to ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff also this is a constant stream not just once in a while and I cant see any probe requests being sent to the AP either.

Is this normal or is there something wrong ?

All F's is a broadcast, if its constant, not periodically, most likely someone trying to get onto your router, trying aireplay-ng attacks or such. Open wireshark and watch the traffic. Could be someone trying to becon flood you but just also know Huawei devices I believe have not only a few bugs, but hard coded backdoors in some of them. Can also boot linux, put the card in monitor mode, and then run airodump-ng on the channel your router sits on, and just monitor it for a bit, see what happens, who is in the neighborhood and if they probe your router, if you're being deauthed and someone trying to attack you for either WPA handshakes, or WEP cracking. Not sure what your router is set to, but at a minimum, use WPA2, never WEP or you may as well leave the AP open.