SSH/RDESKTOP

I got an old BT5R2 box loaded with all the default apps. I want to connect and admin it using rdesktop. I tried to connect directly to it using rdesktop. But, BT5R apparently is not loaded with a rdesktop(RDP) daemon. I read on the internet that its possible to tunnel into BT5R2 using SSH. According to the article I read, its also possible to initiate and RDP (rdesktop) session once the tunnel is in place. Can anyone show an example of the procedure and cmdline params?

Edited by logicalconfusion

I use rdesktop to connect to windows all the time, but never the reverse. rdesktop as far as I know, is only a windows client for RDP.

If you want to remote into backtrack, and have a GUI, try TeamViewer. They make a linux version, and you can connect from windows to BT5. I've done it with uBuntu in the past, should work a treat, and no need for router port forwarding or such. Downfall is knowing username and password, but if you register it, you can set a master username and password to connect to it that is static.

Another option, is VNC, which is slow, or try NoMachines NX client and server, which is way faster, and I also played with in uBuntu and worked well for me, but never tried with backtrack. The uBuntu site has instructions on how to setup nx(don't have link handy) but I imagine would be similar for BackTrack, but more compatible with Kali since that uses the standard FSH(http://www.pathname.com/fhs/) vs what backtrack uses their own paths and binary setups and you would probably need to get the source packages, etc, setup in bt5 for most off the shelf stuff to make work. I actually liked NX better than VNC and was way faster, higher quality, and lighter on an old 300mhz machine I used to have uBuntu on, so its pretty decent remote desktop software for linux to linux or windows to linux.

@digip You got a point there. Apps like rdesktop were designed for M$ Windows. I'm looking for a similar app that allows remote admin of linux terminals. It took me a while to get SSHD working on my BT5R3. I had to dig around for lots of info and spent days debugging it using cmd like (tail -f /var/log/auth.log and /usr/sbin/sshd -p 6666 -d and-vvv sshuser@localhost). I finally figured out, with a help of a friend, that I had to generate host keys on BT!

So, now that I got the host keys in place (dpkg-reconfigure openssh-server), it actually works! I'm not really fimiliar with NX machines. According to google/youtube its possible to implement a NX machine on BT through a SSH tunnel. So, lets see how much faster it is compared to VNC. VNC is pretty old skool, so I'm not surprised to hear that its slow. Lets see if I can write a script to automat the process. Right now I'm using Putty to initiate the shell....

Yeah, I don;t mind shell access, but I like the gui for working with the desktop and some tools like browsing from remote machines while on the road, since its a bit more secure to remote home and surf than surf on the road, plus access to my files directly in gui, can work in photoshop, etc.

@digip lol I never really thought of rendering art through an SSH tunnel! LoL; call me old skool...But imagine using 3d studiomax thousands of miles way. I bet there are cloud solutions out there already for artists. Anway, so far, it looks like tightVNC is out of the game. NX implements a 128bit PK encryption scheme so I much rather stick with that just incase SSHD happens to kick the bucket on the remote terminal...lets see how it goes.

• 1 month later...

This is really weird. I got two daemons running on my old BT5r3, SSH and FTP. VSFTP crawls when I try to transfer files from my Ubuntu to the BT5r3 using SSL - its like deadweight. For some reason, the SFTP provided by the SSH daemon actually works on the BTr3! Windows on the other hand can actually use the VSFTP SSL. Its best to setup two tunnels instead of just one! I wonder which one is more actually more secure....

• 1 month later...

Kali is way too new! I'm guna wait a while for them to kick out the bugs before I jump in, not that ol'skool BT5r3 is any better.

I think Kali autogen/s a key to any local Win 7 box out of the box (with privileges required, of course). Just ma 2 cents...

That may be true if the OS is coded to detect OS type and protocol settings. In my case, the XP had a beat up hd that wasnt actually spinning at 7200 rpm even after a defrag. So it had nothing to do with software! I gota switch to solid state....somehow!!