Factory reset and re-flash leaves old configuration.

Dear All,

I carried out a factory reset and have re-flashed my wifi Pineapple (AP121U) via UART, I follow the instructions and all seems to go well.

However, I noticed that configuration files that I had modified before the factory reset and re-flashing, have maintained there modified content and timestamp.

It would appear that the factory reset and flashing has not done a full / clean install.

Firstly, have I missed something?

Also, is there a way that I can over write the memory to completely "wipe" my AP121U? I WOULD IMAGINE THAT A LOT OF CARE WOULD BE NEEDED TO PREVENT "BRICKING"!

Many thanks in advance

What do you mean by "Factory Reset?"

Data stored in memory is volatile, it is cleared when power is lost. If you wanted to delete all files except the boot loader, rm -rf via SSH should do the trick.

If you do a clean flash via my signature links that should wipe out your settings.

What OS was/is used to perform these functions?

If you still have old configuration files left on it after a Clean Flash. Then you did not flash the router. You can follow my video tutorials here for a clean flash. Hope that helps.

Dear All,

Many thanks for your responses. Most useful.

Just to add clarity, by "factory reset" I pressed the button on the under side of the wifi Pineapple for approx. 5 seconds. This was confirmed when I booted again as there was the stock openWRT welcome screen.

I do like the idea of doing a "rm -rf via SSH".

Is there a method to over write this file space with zero's ?

Again, many thanks in advance

Dear All,

Many thanks for your responses. Most useful.

Just to add clarity, by "factory reset" I pressed the button on the under side of the wifi Pineapple for approx. 5 seconds. This was confirmed when I booted again as there was the stock openWRT welcome screen.

I do like the idea of doing a "rm -rf via SSH".

Is there a method to over write this file space with zero's ?

Again, many thanks in advance

You can do anything you want with the console cable. But installing the boot loader is something not for that faint of heart. I'm not sure the "stock openWRT" welcome screen should have happened with the reset button. It should have just reset the settings to essentially to a reflash.