Inspired noobie here

Whiskey8

Greetings fellow Hak5 enthusiasts!

I was recommended to this site by a redditor who put up an AMA(Ask me Anything) about his ethical hacking. To say that I am intrigued by what you all do here is a huge understatement! I love computers, I have always been a big gamer, when i was a freshman in high school i built my first computer, and my sophmore year at VCU I took some webmaster classes where i learned a little HTML and basic school related programs. I have enlisted in the Air Force and I'm trying to get into their cyber field, but I'm afraid with my lack of experience and knowledge of different aspects that I won't have a chance against other people. Anyways, now that I've taken this last year off of school and i have 6 months untill I leave for BMT I have a little time to "train" and gain a skill that personally within my circle i have yet to see. Without further adieu..to my question!

Where to start? I have browsed the forum a bit and learned that there is somewhat of a timeline to certain projects. So where did you start and how? How do you recommend I start? Maybe something fun, like a prank, something easy would be preferable. Also, i figure a project that could teach me the basics so that after i finish and learn the ropes I can do something a little more challenging each time. I"m here to learn!

again, you all are an inspiration and I would appreciate the help!

Whiskey

Have a purpose, pick your goal, brainstorm, research, and execute. Most of us here, have learned by doing, and when we get stuck we ask for help. Where to start is a broad question and the subject of something you haven't even mentioned, what is it you want to start with? Figure out what it is you need, or want to do, then figure out how to do it, and when you get stuck, post your code, questions, what you tried, etc, and then people usually chime in.

Edited by digip

Well, sans the "neighbors" internet password. Learning how to do it, is not necessarily against the law. What you do on your own time, is your business though and your own responsibility, so won't preach to you about that. I don't care if you do it, get arrested, etc, its your business. Advertising you are about to commit a crime though, probably not the smartest thing to post on a public forum.

Password cracking in general vs WiFi cracking, vs actual router passwords, are 3 different things. Want to crack a password hash, use something like Hashcat. Want to crack wifi, use something like Aircrack or Wifite. Want to capture a login password for the routers administration interface, thats a whole other process.

Setup your own lab, attack your own router for starters. At least that way, you learn how things work. Rest is up to you.

I'm glad I'm here! I didn't even think about that, LOL. I've known them since i was 3 and we are very good friends, but it would be better to have my own set up to practice on. so when i set up my own lab and i figure out what type of password i want to learn to crack I'll google and figure out what program i need and i'll google those you recommended! digip, thank you so much, your the man. I'm going to start this week and I will follow up with my progress and my project and what problems i came across, etc. etc. thanks again! I'm psyched!

Honestly, a wifipineapple might be a decent way to start. Its a great platform for getting your head around networking in general, sniffing traffic, deauthing (taking down an access point), phishing, and pranks. Watch the episodes on it and pour through the forums and wiki. Go back and read some old forums posts with lots of views and replies to see what problems and questions people have had.

telot

Also watch Darren's specific episodes on Wireless topics, packets, OSI model, and his Wifi class he gave at the hacker space.