Help with metasploit

Unreal_Avenger

hi guys, im a uni student (studying Ethical Hacking for Network Security) and ive never been able to get metasploit working and performing a viabable exploit of a system, i run backbox on my laptop and ive got a win7 pc that hasnt been updated since 2010 (so its pretty vunerable), but i just dont have a clue what im doing and i dont want to be the only person in the class who doesnt have a clue what im doing when we start it.

Can someone make me a quick guide? im in lecture atm but ill grab the responses when i get back to the flat in abit

Thanks! :D

Unreal_Avenger

Google for Metasploit Unleashed, that will tell you all you need to know about Metasploit.

And, for some research I'm doing, you've gone into a hacking degree but it sounds like your background might not be in playing with security tools, is that right, and if so, why a hacking degree?

And, for some research I'm doing, you've gone into a hacking degree but it sounds like your background might not be in playing with security tools, is that right, and if so, why a hacking degree?

I enjoy wireless hacking and hardware hacking and i enjoy fiddling with computers, its just the computer intrusion i cant get down, but ill get there, hope this answers your question.

Yes, thats OK. I'm trying to find out how people coming out of security related degrees differ from those coming out of normal CS degrees depending on their level of personal hacking interest and skill when they go in. I personally think someone who has a natural hacker mentality is better off doing a normal CS degree as they will pick up the security skills through natural learning and play while the degree will give a good rounded education but I'm a long way away from collecting enough data to prove that.

Yes, thats OK. I'm trying to find out how people coming out of security related degrees differ from those coming out of normal CS degrees depending on their level of personal hacking interest and skill when they go in. I personally think someone who has a natural hacker mentality is better off doing a normal CS degree as they will pick up the security skills through natural learning and play while the degree will give a good rounded education but I'm a long way away from collecting enough data to prove that.

My opinion is, just an "ethical hacking" degree will not teach someone nearly enough as they should know for a security field. I personally have been programming for over 13 years and have learned so much in my lifetime regarding computers, security, programming, etc. I feel there is no degree program out there than can teach such things, mostly because people learn differently and it covers such a broad range of time that many different techniques have been used. All of which are important to know about even if they are never applied.