Network Bandwith

PC-2011

ok so just to make the explaintion easy to understand i will put it like this. there are 10 pcs, 1 server and a router the server has only one nic so dont say make the server a router or gateway. i was looking for a program that can collect how mutch data each pc is using and is all sent to a server and added up but if it just sends a report to the server that good enough becuase one of the pcs is downloading a ton of stuff then deleteing or streaming but i can figure out with one because the users are reseting the data everytime they restart. any ideas of a program that can send reports like that.

This is what I would do.

Install SNMP on every pc.

If the server is running windows server then install PRTG http://www.paessler.com/prtg . (Free version 10 to 30 sensors) And configure prtg to get the snmp traffic from each pc. Also you can run custom reports.

If the server is running linux you could use (one listed here http://en.wikipedia....itoring_systems ). Have not needed to do network monitoring on linux so don't know a suggestion for it.

Hope this gives you an idea.

Edited by brianzimm

Check firewalls for port 161 for snmp. If snmp does not work you could try the wim sensor.

Other than that read the help file to find were the bandwith meter page/report is.

What are they connected by? Is it a single switch or a number of switches/access points? If it is just switches then check to see what information you can get out of that. Some will keep simple bandwidth counts for each of their interfaces and you could simply query this (either manually or via SNMP if the switch supports it). The big advantage is that you don't need to make any changes to your machines and you are only polling one device for information.

• 3 weeks later...

A lot of switches and access points will at least give you some options. Find out which ones you can get management data from and which you can't. You might be able to adjust the layout of your network to position those switches you can query of management data so that you can at least narrow down the possibilities.

so if you currently have a setup like

[router] <--------> [Queryable Switch] <--------> [Non-queryable Switch A] <---------->[Non-queryable Switch B]

you could connect the two non-queryable switches to different interfaces on the Queryable switch.

[router]<--------> [Queryable Switch] <----------> [Non-queryable Swtich A]

^-------------------------------------------------------------------->[Non-queryable switch B]

That way if you are looking at bandwidth usage reports you would at least know which of the three switches they were connected to.

Something that may be worth looking into for watching bandwidth is Solarwinds. They have a lot of free tools, one of which monitors bandwidth usage on an interface. That's my 2 cents worth. Tool can be found at http://www.solarwinds.com/products/freetools/real-time-bandwidth-monitor.aspx

Edited by Random_N00b

• 4 weeks later...