Hey-row Hak5. I noticed someone posted a "ZOMBIE SURVIVAL KIT"; whether or not it will be zombies or just human ignorance; but in the back of our heads there is always the possibility that the world may end.... given we are all mortals.

So, I have been working on my kit for a few years now (slowly but surely), and here is the list of my following items I have in case of an emergency.

(THIS IS AN INCOMPLETE LIST, STILL PLENTY TO ADD)

4.5 Inch fixed KA-BAR

Water purifying tables (when fires are too dangerous)

USMC Spade w/ hatchet attachment (my pride and joy)

Parachute cord (2 25 foot packages)

Doan Magnesium bricks (3 of them so far)

Waterproof matches

Datrex emergency ration bars (Only one pack, so far)

Black tarps (2 cheap ones)

Tent (may take off of list, as I have tarps)

Sharpening stone

Winter gear (already own a ton, the north is cold!)

That is my incomplete list. I want to purchase a few more items once my funds are available. They are:

Mylar blankets

FULL medical kit (expensive)

Waterproof Survival handbook

Nice Compass (No Chinese knockoff)

30-06 rifle

HK MK23 Pistol (Known as a very robust firearm)

Bullet press

Solar charge panels

Short wave radio w/ rechargeable batteries

I am sure you guys could help make some nice additions to my list... chime in! Who knows, we could live to see the day we pass peacefully in our beds; or we can die from exposure if the world goes to hell in a wicker basket.

Edited by Pwnd2Pwnr

My initial thoughts on the subject are that you would probably want to group a number of items together depending on the type of disasters you are planning on covering. After all a disaster that lets you still live in your own house would allow you to have a lot more items than one which would require you to use your car to escape, which in turn would still allow you to have more items than a disaster that forced you to travel on foot. Of course your groupings wouldn't be exclusive so your kit for travelling by car would include your kit for travelling by foot, and your kit for staying at home would include your car a foot kit.

Items to include are a good couple of multitools/swiss army knife would be a good inclusion, as would some general survival and medical books.

Lol great topic. Every generation throughout recorded history has thought they'd be the last, the rapture, the ascension, Y2k, all the Euro/Asian ww2 end of the world philosophies, etc. Still great fun to plan for it though. Unfortunately I'll be working when the winter whatever comes on December 23.

Have lots of general purpose antibiotics, lots of automatic rifles, even more ammo, learn to love MRE's, and most importantly go far far away from any humans who you wouldn't trust with your life.

Did they ever make the Datrex bars taste decent? Also you should list what backpack you're using. I have an ALICE medium pack for a bunch of storage when I go camping. Also you may want to consider adding some redundancy to those matches and getting a firesteel. I bought one and it has come in handy numerous times no matter the climate. A swiss army knife would come in handy so long as you don't rely fully on it for everything, the Ka-Bar would obviously be used for heavier tasks but some people choose to figure that out on their own and break the swiss army knife. Just be sure that no matter what gun you get you factor maintenance according to your climate (AR15 would work great urban but suck in a marsh) and become proficient with it. I hope you have water even if you haven't listed it here, if you don't have one dedicated, this might be something to look into.

$(KGrHqR,!pQE-vz4k!ITBP)ojF3jZg~~60_35.JPG

Edited by Radau

Did they ever make the Datrex bars taste decent? Also you should list what backpack you're using. I have an ALICE medium pack for a bunch of storage when I go camping. Also you may want to consider adding some redundancy to those matches and getting a firesteel. I bought one and it has come in handy numerous times no matter the climate. A swiss army knife would come in handy so long as you don't rely fully on it for everything, the Ka-Bar would obviously be used for heavier tasks but some people choose to figure that out on their own and break the swiss army knife. Just be sure that no matter what gun you get you factor maintenance according to your climate (AR15 would work great urban but suck in a marsh) and become proficient with it. I hope you have water even if you haven't listed it here, if you don't have one dedicated, this might be something to look into.

Water is a given. But, carrying gallons of water is a pretty tough physically. I forgot to add a solar still (I think that is the correct spelling); it is basically a plastic container that you can put over plant vegetation. Then, you cut a plastic bag around the bottom middle and place it over the plant. This can create a sizable amount of water, but takes a while. This is from a special ops survival book I acquired a while back.

Flavor has nothing to do with survival :)... but yes, they taste like... well... shit... lol

Edited by Pwnd2Pwnr

Your kit is going to depend heavily on what your environment is like and what types of disasters you are preparing for. Also keep in mind that you're not just preparing for yourself, you're preparing for everyone else around you as well (family, friends, neighbors). You should also try to make sure you actually have the skills to use the equipment and that the equipment actually works before you rely on it. Do a dry run. Go camping or backpacking and practice using survival gear. Try shutting off the main breaker and see how well you can get by for a few days without any power. If there is anything missing from your kit, it's better to figure that out in a dry-run than when the real thing happens.

The psyche of the survivor(s) is the hardest part. Keeping a positive mental attitude. Spiking your adrenaline; thinking you are not going to live is basically the death sentence. I believe that the key to survival is the implementation of said skills (Sitwon), and a dry run sounds like a great idea. I tried talking my old lady into letting me do it around the winter time... but she said work is more important... :unsure: