lester

Read two posts on setting the time. For example, one here, states:

in /etc/config/system add the lines:

config 'timeserver'

list 'server' '0.openwrt.pool.ntp.org'

list 'server' '1.openwrt.pool.ntp.org'

list 'server' '2.openwrt.pool.ntp.org'

list 'server' '3.openwrt.pool.ntp.org'

You may also need/want to change line 2 to your local timezone.

option 'timezone' 'UTC'

Add the command 'date -k' to /etc/rc.local

Okay, great. Now are the apostrophes (') supposed to be included? One post shows it as part of the input, the other post excludes some of them. I tried both and still the date on the pineapple is Jan 1, 1970. A clear and concise way of setting the time should be included in this package, as far as I'm concerned. It does get frustrating trying to set so many basic features on the Pineapple. I can understand users giving up in despair. The manual only covers unboxing and then some -- please, guys, try to show us noobs how to get this thing up and running with the basics? It shouldn't be so difficult to try and set the date and time, and if there is some reason why it can't be set, please let us noobs know up front about that.

Time and date are critical for penetration testing, as I'm sure everyone is well aware. Thanks!

When the pineapple boots up there is no connection to the internet until running, manually, the connection via a cable attached so how can it go out to the internet to grab the time at boot up time?

if you look at the log, you will see when it does, around 60 seconds. cron throughs a time mismatch error

Don't understand what you mean:

if you look at the log, you will see when it does, around 60 seconds. cron throughs a time mismatch error

Do you mean at 60 seconds the cron runs and produces a time mismatch error? If it produces a time mismatch error how is that correcting the time?

Don't understand what you mean:

Do you mean at 60 seconds the cron runs and produces a time mismatch error? If it produces a time mismatch error how is that correcting the time?

in the pineapple UI there is a log tab

Yes, I see the entry -- but how does one set the time so that it does not have to be set manually at each and every startup or has the Mark IV not gotten there quite yet?

It has. It has for a while now too. This is something that is built in an works for me and many others. I am not sure why it wouldn't work for you.

My pineapple always has the correct time.

Best Regards,

Sebkinne

I'm using 2.6.1. What would be the best way to trouble shoot this? I have internet connectivity -- that is, after starting up the Mark IV and then running wp4.sh from the cable-connected pc - Mark IV. So indeed there is not immediate internet connectivity until that is done. Would that account for it or does a cron job run periodically that goes out and grabs the time?

Thank you.