I Used Disk Cleanup And Need Big Help!

Kuroudo Akabane

I used Disk Cleanup on my netbook, and it made my IE icons go away, as well as the games that came installed and the volume controls... maybe more but that's all I can notice.

I tried using a restore point but the only one was after the changes were made.

What should I do?

Also, the button on my toolbar that goes to the desktop is gone... And this all happened after I used the disk cleanup windows component button...

Edited by Kuroudo Akabane

What disk clean up utility did you use?

What disk clean up utility did you use?
Just the disk cleaner that comes installed... I used Recuva to scan the HDD and it says the games are unrecoverable... I don't know about the volume controls, the IE or the desktop/toolbar settings.

I'm thinking about returning the computer to factory defaults.

The problem is on my Windows partition... will restoring factory defaults effect my Linux partition?

I believe so, if you were using just a normal Windows installation CD, you could choose which partition to format and install Windows on, since you are using the restore CD that came with your computer, there is a possibility that the CD will delete all the partitions on your hard drive, since its resetting your computer settings back to factory defaults.

I believe so, if you were using just a normal Windows installation CD, you could choose which partition to format and install Windows on, since you are using the restore CD that came with your computer, there is a possibility that the CD will delete all the partitions on your hard drive, since its resetting your computer settings back to factory defaults.
That sucks...

It's a netbook and doesn't have a CD... I've tried pressing F6/F11/F12 and nothing is working to restore my netbook.

That sucks...

It's a netbook and doesn't have a CD... I've tried pressing F6/F11/F12 and nothing is working to restore my netbook.

Try creating an ISO image of the CD and then using an USB key to boot your netbook off it.

What CD? My netbook is supposed to have a partition to boot from.

My bad, I thought your netbook had a CD to restore it back to default settings, obviously it doesn't have a CD drive as you stated before. What puzzles me, is the fact that the disk utility deleted things it shouldn't have to. It's not something that, normally happens when doing a disk clean up, especially with the Windows disk clean up utility.

My bad, I thought your netbook had a CD to restore it back to default settings, obviously it doesn't have a CD drive as you stated before. What puzzles me, is the fact that the disk utility deleted things it shouldn't have to. It's not something that, normally happens when doing a disk clean up, especially with the Windows disk clean up utility.
Yeah, the only box I checked was the one to remove something to do with faxes... but it removed alot more.

Not sure how to reset the computer though...

Yeah, the only box I checked was the one to remove something to do with faxes... but it removed alot more.

Not sure how to reset the computer though...

Do you have a Windows installation CD at all?

Can you shed some light on what OS you are running and who manufactured your netbook

From what i gathered so far, he has a dual boot setup, running a flavor of windows and linux.

Can you shed some light on what OS you are running and who manufactured your netbook
It's a HP Mini 110 running Windows XP Home.
From what i gathered so far, he has a dual boot setup, running a flavor of windows and linux.
That's right, I have a 30 GB partition for Ubuntu (haven't used it much) when I turn the computer on it gives me a choice of which partition I want to use.

See, If you can get a hold of that Windows installation CD off your friend, and create an ISO image of it, Then, with the ISO image copy it to an USB drive and boot your netbook off it, at the the Windows installation screen, select the partition that has your Windows installed on, the Windows installation Wizard will then format that partition and install the Window on it.

Once the Windows installation is complete, you will need to fix your boot grub, so that you can dual boot again.

not sure how old your hp is, but i am used to dealing with the newer models of computers, i do beleive (90% sure not mixing up with toshiba) that hps recovery manager does have an option to redo just the partition of your choice to help protect any data partitions, the option should present itself well before any recovery would be preformed, to get there is rather easy, start computer f8 repeatedly into repair computer, and assuming you have a recovery partition after going thru the options there will be an icon at the bottom that looks like a liferaft/saver that says hp recovery, click that and specify exactly what your looking to do, also i would recommend for the future to pick up a usb dvd drive, i find mine invaluable, we also use them daily at work for netbooks and the like.

you could also as a last resort make recovery media to a flashdrive from your partition thru hp recovery manager, make an iso image of your ubuntu install as well, reinstall windows thru your flashdrive recovery media back to factory settings, and then reinstall your linux as it was from the image you took, but that would require an external hdd or two relatively sizeable flashdrives.

here is some of hps documentation on recovery for your unit if you have any unanswered questions or just want to give it a look

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?cc=us&dlc=en&docname=c01883653〈=en&lc=en&product=3965137

good luck.