Security Setup?

Kuroudo Akabane

• 2 weeks later...

from what i recall, and i havent looked into it lately spybot is/was a shell of its former self, i personally run malwarebytes in its place, should i be giving spybot a chance? malware bytes has been nothing but good to me.

in any case i dont tend to run av, but i always set people up with avast/malware bytes personally.

Edited by sober

from what i recall, and i havent looked into it lately spybot is/was a shell of its former self, i personally run malwarebytes in its place, should i be giving spybot a chance? malware bytes has been nothing but good to me.

in any case i dont tend to run av, but i always set people up with avast/malware bytes personally.

Under no circumstance you should be running your computer without an AV. Its asking for trouble. If you think you can be safe, be my guest, but I don't trust the internet for anything. You should always be prepared for what comes at you, but sometimes that can't be helped.

Under no circumstance you should be running your computer without an AV. Its asking for trouble. If you think you can be safe, be my guest, but I don't trust the internet for anything. You should always be prepared for what comes at you, but sometimes that can't be helped.

which i do understand, i use a vm for most of my general surfing, and funny thing is it got infected by an advertisement in the background of a reputable site just recently,throwing up a standard yes no error on front page clicked yes just to see, ran mbam on the drive and it was infected, was able to re image but i do get the point, i just use rig itself for gaming, and use vms for anything online.

lol spybot. too chatty for my likes. I suppose if one had the time to research every change that a program might need to make. For instance, today I ran rosetta stone for the first time in some time, and my seurity software quarentined it because it wanted to add a site to trusted sites, and make some other changes. I allowed it, then reserched the ip it was reaching to... rosettastone website. So the attempt was likely legitamate, and i learned a little something, but I would prefer not to deal with it every time i install a program.

Personally I prefer MSE as an AV, MBAM as AntiMalware,ThreatFire as anomoly bsed HIPS and rootkit checker. eventually when I get home, i'll tr some patch management, IDS, and so on. :)

Keep Avast, install Spybot - search and destroy and Comodo firewalls. These will keep you protected.

Agree, those are what I have on my netbook EXCEPT I use windows home premium and dual boot Linux Ubuntu. Also make sure not to run too many programs at start up since they can drain your little netbook's battery pretty fast. :ph34r:

• 2 weeks later...

lol spybot. too chatty for my likes. I suppose if one had the time to research every change that a program might need to make. For instance, today I ran rosetta stone for the first time in some time, and my seurity software quarentined it because it wanted to add a site to trusted sites, and make some other changes. I allowed it, then reserched the ip it was reaching to... rosettastone website. So the attempt was likely legitamate, and i learned a little something, but I would prefer not to deal with it every time i install a program.

Personally I prefer MSE as an AV, MBAM as AntiMalware,ThreatFire as anomoly bsed HIPS and rootkit checker. eventually when I get home, i'll tr some patch management, IDS, and so on. :)

Spybot too chatty? It keeps you safe. If a program is not notifying you of potential suspicious activity, then why would it be worth having? I do agree that when I am using a legitimate program and I receive a warning when the program tries to access a legitimate site/service, it is rather annoying. Simply stated, of all the reasons I would stop using windows, having to allow a program through the firewall each and every time isn't one of the reasons. Much the same can be said for Spybot, although, I'm not going to stop using it. :)

You might also want to have a look at EMET from Mircosoft, it is supposed to stop certain exploits from occurring: http://blogs.technet...ng-emet-v3.aspx

There is a side effect though, it is claimed that some programs do not work with this technology because they need the behaviour that the tool blocks to function correctly.

I do not have experience with this tool so if you use it perhaps let us know in a separate thread?

Yes because what this program does is limit several services such as Secondary Login. Secondary login is essential to many programs now including Diablo 3. You can turn off many unessential services from within the computer management section and clicking on services