Plastic Laptops

Zimmer

Having to recently fix the rubber foot on a laptop I realize something. Who the hell decided that plastic for a laptop shell would be a good idea?!?! Plastic isn't durable at all and I realize pretty much all the problems I have ever fixed on people's laptops have been because the plastic cracks! Really?!? So what are your thoughts on this, have you had similar realizations, do you think plastic is a good material? So now my question is there any company (other than Apple) that makes decent laptops Dell and HP the two major PC makes sell mostly plastic laptops (HP I think has one model that is aluminum); why would you ever make even any laptop out of plastic, it seems so idiotic... Ok there is my rant enjoy :-)

Having to recently fix the rubber foot on a laptop I realize something. Who the hell decided that plastic for a laptop shell would be a good idea?!?! Plastic isn't durable at all and I realize pretty much all the problems I have ever fixed on people's laptops have been because the plastic cracks! Really?!? So what are your thoughts on this, have you had similar realizations, do you think plastic is a good material? So now my question is there any company (other than Apple) that makes decent laptops Dell and HP the two major PC makes sell mostly plastic laptops (HP I think has one model that is aluminum); why would you ever make even any laptop out of plastic, it seems so idiotic... Ok there is my rant enjoy :-)

Panasonic make the Toughbook line of laptops. They have Magnesium metal cases, are splash proof, dust proof, and built to mil spec. Second hand ones of reasonable speed are available on e-bay all the time.

I'm writing this on my mini CF-M34 right now. Its the 1GHz model, but get this, no CPU fan either! The CPU is thermally coupled to the case, and the whole thing acts as a heatsink! :-D

And yes, plastic is pretty poor for laptops, although, I must say some are worse than others. I have an old 386 laptop that you can happily stand on, as the plastic is fairly thick, but these days, the plastics are really quite thin!

Panasonic make the Toughbook line of laptops. They have Magnesium metal cases, are splash proof, dust proof, and built to mil spec. Second hand ones of reasonable speed are available on e-bay all the time.

I'm writing this on my mini CF-M34 right now. Its the 1GHz model, but get this, no CPU fan either! The CPU is thermally coupled to the case, and the whole thing acts as a heatsink! :-D

And yes, plastic is pretty poor for laptops, although, I must say some are worse than others. I have an old 386 laptop that you can happily stand on, as the plastic is fairly thick, but these days, the plastics are really quite thin!

Ya I have a Dell that is about 15 years old and it still works other than the lcd. But ya it seems either you get thin cheap plastic or insanely durable military spec laptops but not too much in between. Still the thin plastic just baffles me as it is not durable at all especially for something that is suppose to be portable.

I have had very few incedences where plastic has been a problem. I have worked on hundreds of laptops and I can only think of one or two that have had problems related to broken plastic.

It might have not been directly broken plastic but I can guess at least some of those if not many wouldn't have happen with a more durable (used loosely) enclosure,