Is It Safe To..?

niller

I have a question with the Mark IV i've just bought. What happen if i connect a dual usb port (two male into one female) to a usb battery pack and then to the wifi pineapple?.

The usb battery pack has 5v with 1A on each port, so it will be 10v at 2A. Will the Pineapple support this? Is there any possibility of the mark iv to get burn, broken or anything bad?

The usb power is this one Power Bank 5800mah (http://img1.mlstatic.com/power-bank-5800mah-bateria-externa-cargador-universal-portat_MLA-O-2629199307_042012.jpg)

Thank you for your attention!

I have to say I have never come across any usb cables that run in series? the pineapple is fully capable of being powered by 5 volts.

I have seen plugs that combine 2 usb's to double the amperage and that is safe to do, still at 5 volts.

Edited by petertfm

I'm not quite sure what you mean here.

If you are thinking of providing power via the USB port on the pineapple, don't!

The Hakshop sells a suitable USB to dc barrel connector for less than $6 USD, for you to either power off your laptop (assuming its ports support the current requirements) or to plug into your battery pack.

The battery pack you describe cannot output 10v at 2A, it just has two 5v 1A ports, you can't just arbitrarily add voltages and current together.

It should however, put out a total of 5v and 2A if you parallel the two ports, (if you have one of those Y shaped USB cables).

From what I have read, the pineapple will run quite happily of 5v at an amp or so, via its DC barrel connector.

Edited by plazmatron

peter - you have to wire up your own to put usb in series. Its awesome though if you have two separate power sources.

Darren - Somethings not officially supported from a hack shop? Love the pun ;)

As for you niller - do not, whatever you do, put the + from one usb port to the - of another on a single power source. If you have TWO battery packs, all the power to ya. Please read this thread for more details:

http://forums.hak5.org/index.php?showtopic=26815

telot

I also find that while I can use the USB port on my laptop to power the spikey beast, my usb drive doesnt always run.

For that reason (as well as the obvious looking wifi router connected to my laptop), I use an 11000mAh pack. Goes for ages :)

With that I've had no issues with USB/3G modems.

Sorry for answering this now, i didnt have time to respond :/.

The question is about if it is safe to connect the pineapple to a single USB Power Battery with the Y Shapped Cable? And if it is safe will this improve anything or it 'll be the same?

Thks!

Edited by niller

Sorry for answering this now, i didnt have time to respond :/.

The question is about if it is safe to connect the pineapple to a single USB Power Battery with the Y Shapped Cable? And if it is safe will this improve anything or it 'll be the same?

Thks!

it is safe if. your powering through the barrel jack in the back of the pineapple not usb battery to usb port. I am not sure if it is safe to power through the usb? hakshop sells a usb male to mark4 barrel adapter.